Premed 101 Forums

Deferring Med-School

JP76

Do any of the Ontario Schools, Calgary, or Dalhousie allow a student to defer their enrolment in medical school for the following school year in order to finish their Masters degree? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Do any of the Ontario Schools, Calgary, or Dalhousie allow a student to defer their enrolment in medical school for the following school year in order to finish their Masters degree? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

In general, one should never defer an acceptance. There are very few things that could possibly be more important, and you'd just be setting yourself up for a complication later on.

Anecdotally, I know of someone who was granted a deferral at Queen's to finish her MSc.

This would definitely not be acceptable at schools that have a strict conditions for you to finish your thesis by a certain date, usually end of June (off the top of my head: Toronto, UBC, Dal, Western).

There are very few things that could possibly be more important

I know one person who deferred. He had been diagnosed with leukemia and was going through chemotherapy etc. (Later beat cancer and is now a radiology resident!)

I feel like it's more these kind of major unexpected life events that are acceptable for deferrals. In my opinion (which is all this is, I don't have any insider knowledge on this), if you're in a master's program and apply to medical school (where/if that is allowed) you know the best outcome going into the application is that you wouldn't be able to finish if you were accepted, and if you're not prepared for that, then you shouldn't apply.

From what I know of UofC, and I did know someone who was granted a deferral there, it has to be something unexpected at the time you apply. He specifically states in the podcast a few examples- one being "I'm pregnant" and the other being a military contract the applicant couldn't get out of despite their best efforts. I may be wrong, but I think finishing MSc was used as an example where they would not grant a deferral.

So we're agreed. If you're dying then by all means defer.

Haven't laughed that hard at a post in a long time.

A girlfriend of mine deferred her U of M acceptance last year and will be starting in the fall because of pregnancy. And even in this case they did not want to defer and she had to really fight.

Haven't laughed that hard at a post in a long time.

A girlfriend of mine deferred her U of M acceptance last year and will be starting in the fall because of pregnancy. And even in this case they did not want to defer and she had to really fight.

Can I defer because my girlfriend is pregnant or something like that? I just wanna take a break and travel. lol

I believe that at UofC you will pretty much never be granted a deferral to finish your MSc. However, if you are taking your Masters at the UofC and get into medical school, you can join their Leaders in Medicine program. This is basically a deferral, but you have to be enrolled in your MSc (or PhD or BA or whatever else you can combine with MD) at the UofC already. If you're enrolled at another university, you'd have to finish before starting your MD program.

Can I defer because my girlfriend is pregnant or something like that? I just wanna take a break and travel. lol

There's these things called summers. You get them before 2nd and 3rd year, so that's collectively 6 months for you to take time off and travel.

• 2 months later...

Archived