Premed 101 Forums

how do you think a physical rehabilitation technician job?

I am searching for relevant information, because I have just got into physical rehab program in Dawson. From what I observed, this profession include doing massage (which gives me bad feeling) and exercises (which I don't like), but the unemployment rate is low and the pay is good in Qecbec area. Any one has some experiences for this profession?

• 2 months later...

If you don't like touching people, don't go into this field! I am a physio with 5 years experience, and I work with rehabilitation techs. In general, this is a field where you have to be very comfortable with massaging, touching and being close to people. Our motto at UdeM was 'en physio, on se touche!' There's more to it, like specific techniques to help injured people, but they all come down to physical contact, and lots of it.

Make sure you can handle that, and would enjoy it before you accept.

I am searching for relevant information, because I have just got into physical rehab program in Dawson. From what I observed, this profession include doing massage (which gives me bad feeling) and exercises (which I don't like), but the unemployment rate is low and the pay is good in Qecbec area. Any one has some experiences for this profession?

Lol just lol

I hate my job but i'm getting good $$$, nice mentality there

You will be depressed by 40

No really...

Physio/rehab requires excellent interpersonal skills and a high level of comfort with close physical contact with strangers and all their parts. Think smelly feet, armpits, etc. Personally, I don't mind, because I love working with people, and I have a genuine interest in helping them. But you won't survive the schooling let alone a day in the field if this is not you. All we need is more miserable people in healthcare, doing it for all the wrong reasons. The money is not that good if you LOVE it, let alone if you absolutely hate it. These are fields where you can get by doing the bare minimum, but to really help people, you have to have your heart in it, and consistently be willing to go above and beyond. There is so much in a day that I do that is not part of my job description, but involves facilitating peoples lives. It's the little things that make a difference, and if you're just going to be another cog doling out pre-packaged exercise programs and not getting involved with your patients lives, then do us all a favour and look elsewhere.

There are many things that I can forgive, but the people that really bug me in my field are those who just don't care enough to do more than the bare minimum, or worse yet to not harm their patients. If your sole motivation is a paycheque, this is a lose-lose.

However, if you are interested in the human body, and mechanics and biology and psychology and really getting to the heart of someone's problem... this is an excellent field. What looks like massage isn't massage. It's specific muscle and joint work, and when you have a goal in mind such as helping your patient with their knee pain and getting them back to their goals at home and work, then it becomes really interesting.

Hope that gives you some perspective ;)

Archived