Premed 101 Forums

Study on Residency Matching (CaRMS)

I just happened to stumble upon this study which was done by UofT regarding how competitive any given residency truly is versus how medical students perceive how competitive it is.

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/common/documents/events/icre/2012proceedings/pgme_admissions_selecting_residents/a_bilbily.pdf

Some interesting findings are:

Radiology, Cardiac Sx, Neuro Sx, Ortho, Internal Med, and even to some degree Nuclear Med are all perceived to be much more competitive than they actually are. Where as Physiatry, Community Med, and especially Medical Microbiology are all underestimated by medical students as competitive programs to get into.

This does not mean that Radiology, etc. are not competitive to get into...they are. But they are overestimated while other programs are underestimated.

Having said that, the sample size is only UofT students and there are other limits/problems with the study such as "defining what's competitive", and programs with few positions and/or applicants may not be properly represented.

All in all an interesting study compounded with the fact it's nicely presented so it's really easy to go through, read, and understand :D

I thought it was physiatry and not psychiatry. Psychiatry was ranked 26 by the students and 23 by CARMS, pretty close.

Edit to add:

Otherwise not surprising on both the students perceptions and where CARMS ranks things. There is always so many people who tend to not apply for certain specialities out of fear of rejection while on the other hand there always a group of people who will overestimate their competitiveness. Of course their are also people who are extremely competitive but prefer less competitive specialities.

I just happened to stumble upon this study which was done by UofT regarding how competitive any given residency truly is versus how medical students perceive how competitive it is.

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/common/documents/events/icre/2012proceedings/pgme_admissions_selecting_residents/a_bilbily.pdf

Some interesting findings are:

Radiology, Cardiac Sx, Neuro Sx, Ortho, Internal Med, and even to some degree Nuclear Med are all perceived to be much more competitive than they actually are. Where as Physiatry, Community Med, and especially Medical Microbiology are all underestimated by medical students as competitive programs to get into.

This does not mean that Radiology, etc. are not competitive to get into...they are. But they are overestimated while other programs are underestimated.

Having said that, the sample size is only UofT students and there are other limits/problems with the study such as "defining what's competitive", and programs with few positions and/or applicants may not be properly represented.

All in all an interesting study compounded with the fact it's nicely presented so it's really easy to go through, read, and understand :D

Thanks for sharing this info; it's very interesting stuff. I'm personally not surprised to see opthalmology, ENT, dermatology, and EM up there, but I'm kind of surprised to see cardiac surgery, nuclear medicine, and internal medicine so low down on the list!

Thanks for sharing this info; it's very interesting stuff. I'm personally not surprised to see opthalmology, ENT, dermatology, and EM up there, but I'm kind of surprised to see cardiac surgery, nuclear medicine, and internal medicine so low down on the list!

Yea no worries big guy :P I had the same thoughts, especially about cardiac surgery.

internal, psych and family are all adjacent to each other and they are some of the larger programs.. if you look at it from a PURE numbers perspective, larger programs in general are going to be lower on the list because supply will roughly equal demand. it's whether you want to go to say UManitoba internal vs Mac or UofT internal that probably makes people think internal is a bit more competitive than it actually is. especially because there are more "well-known" internal programs that many applicants usually try to do electives at or try to match to.

Archived