Premed 101 Forums

Rural vs. Urban FM Residency

herewego

Aside from content, is there any advantage to doing one over the other (pay in residency, facilitation in locums in rural places, loan forgiveness, etc.).

i think loan forgiveness is the big thing,

idk if you have incentive pay during residency though :S maybe

1. Pay in residency

Simple answer is: no. You get paid the same as a PGY-1 or -2 no matter what specialty or location you are in. It is based on your provincial agreement.

Complex answer: there are some "perks" to being in rural FM, but it depends on where you are. Some communities give gym or community centre memberships, and if you're single and unattached then in some cases there's a potential for an awful lot of free rent.

Downside: scrambling for places to stay that fill up quick, and if you're unsingle and attached then you're looking for a place to live for 2 years in communities that might not have big rental markets, and depending on the program you (the resident) may only be there 6 months out of 12. And if it's Fort McMurray, there's no bonus stipend for residents to be able to afford a place to live there, but I heard a rumour they're considering it.

2. Facilitation in locums in rural places

In a word, no. Rural locums aren't exactly competitive. If they were, then it might matter.

3. Loan forgiveness

Not as far as I know! Loan forgiveness usually only comes into play when you start working somewhere independently, and having done rural programs doesn't really change your chances at getting those jobs, just your interest/comfort at going there (according to what research has been published).

Archived