Premed 101 Forums

Buying a house while in med school?

You can't make general statements like that...it depends completely on the specific situation...in my situation, which isn't too out of the ordinary, if I sold now after 4 years of ownership I would come out ahead by around $40,000 compared to renting a similar place. I agree often it is not better to buy if you stay less than 5 years, but in many other cases it can work just fine.

Thats why I said it depends on a lot of factor

I would love to take a look at your numbers, 40k seems farfetch ;)

Thats why I said it depends on a lot of factor

I would love to take a look at your numbers, 40k seems farfetch ;)

Well, the average selling price for our unit in our building is now about $315,000 and we bought for $245,000 about 3.5 years ago. Purchasing closing costs were very cheap, like $1300. Closing costs for selling would probably be about 6.5 percent. Also, our apartment before was about 150 square feet less than our condo.

Well, the average selling price for our unit in our building is now about $315,000 and we bought for $245,000 about 3.5 years ago. Purchasing closing costs were very cheap, like $1300. Closing costs for selling would probably be about 6.5 percent. Also, our apartment before was about 150 square feet less than our condo.

a growth rate which is great! - but how likely is that to be consistent in the future? that is the big question :)

My husband and I are likely going to buy a house next year while I am in school. He has a good job so we should be ok to get a reasonable mortgage on his salary. I have been doing a lot of research and my biggest concern is all the talk of the impending "correction" in house prices. The OECD released a report showing Canada's house prices are the third most overvalued in the world, by as much as 60% in some markets (TO and Van especially).

Also, the Bank of Canada warned this week that Toronto's condo market is bad for the economy because of the huge number of unsold units. Essentially economists are saying this has to change... not likely by a crash but by a sow decrease or a freeze on home prices. Just something to think about if you are considering buying.

My husband and I are likely going to buy a house next year while I am in school. He has a good job so we should be ok to get a reasonable mortgage on his salary. I have been doing a lot of research and my biggest concern is all the talk of the impending "correction" in house prices. The OECD released a report showing Canada's house prices are the third most overvalued in the world, by as much as 60% in some markets (TO and Van especially).

Also, the Bank of Canada warned this week that Toronto's condo market is bad for the economy because of the huge number of unsold units. Essentially economists are saying this has to change... not likely by a crash but by a sow decrease or a freeze on home prices. Just something to think about if you are considering buying.

Housing prices aren't something you need to worry about if your goal as long as your goal isn't to sell in a few years after purchase

A correction will happen but like as history has shown the market will rebound

My wife and I have been considering selling our house (no mortgage do that certainly helps) in the next 6-12 months and renting until we see what the market will bare. We don't have to worry about the market that much where we are due to location therefore if we can wait til a correction then we're looking at purchasing something for 20% less. Now if we wanted to stay here another 7-10 years we wouldn't care about the correction as within that time period the market will have rebounded.

What you should be concerned about is interest rates. I see a mild rate increase in the next year but after that who knows. One thing is for certain, rates won't rise to anywhere near late 80's early 90's levels lest Government and banks want to see the US housing crisis all over again except this time in Canada :eek:

Housing prices aren't something you need to worry about if your goal as long as your goal isn't to sell in a few years after purchase

A correction will happen but like as history has shown the market will rebound

My wife and I have been considering selling our house (no mortgage do that certainly helps) in the next 6-12 months and renting until we see what the market will bare. We don't have to worry about the market that much where we are due to location therefore if we can wait til a correction then we're looking at purchasing something for 20% less. Now if we wanted to stay here another 7-10 years we wouldn't care about the correction as within that time period the market will have rebounded.

What you should be concerned about is interest rates. I see a mild rate increase in the next year but after that who knows. One thing is for certain, rates won't rise to anywhere near late 80's early 90's levels lest Government and banks want to see the US housing crisis all over again except this time in Canada :eek:

You're right, interest rates are also scary and unpredictable! We are looking in Guelph so we are also outside of the scary markets but it seems that no one can predict the trends there either.

The CMHC predicted 2013 would be slow in Guelph with a slump in sales and decreasing prices... as it turns out, sales are up and many homes under 350000 are getting multiple competing offers.

I shouldn't complain though, my friend just bought a little 3 bed 2 bath here in San Diego for 600K!! :eek:

Now if we wanted to stay here another 7-10 years we wouldn't care about the correction as within that time period the market will have rebounded.

061513krugman3-blog480.png

(y-axis: Real house prices, 1975:1 = 100. Source: Paul Krugman's column, originally from the Economist)

Will the US housing market correct to its peak value 7-10 years after the decline started? It's been about 8 years since prices started to drop and its nowhere near it's pre-crash value.

What makes you so certain the Canadian one will recover so quickly if it undergoes a similar correction?

061513krugman3-blog480.png

(y-axis: Real house prices, 1975:1 = 100. Source: Paul Krugman's column, originally from the Economist)

Will the US housing market correct to its peak value 7-10 years after the decline started? It's been about 8 years since prices started to drop and its nowhere near it's pre-crash value.

What makes you so certain the Canadian one will recover so quickly if it undergoes a similar correction?

There's a difference between housing price correction and total economic failure.

Archived