Premed 101 Forums

Radiology questions

well not surprisingly many mods have a tech background/interest and rads is a common path for people like that.

and no not all of us are in that field :)

Ah..yes, I didn't consider that.

How does CaRMS work--if I put radiology as my #1 and let's say ortho as #2, who determines my best fit or if I fit at all? (I know I can ask in the carms section but I figure if you can answer it here, itl save a thread :))

How does CaRMS work--if I put radiology as my #1 and let's say ortho as #2, who determines my best fit or if I fit at all? (I know I can ask in the carms section but I figure if you can answer it here, itl save a thread :))

ha - that is a huge question though :) The short answer would be you prior to selecting what you want to match to and then the program directors and selection committees at the various schools.

ha - that is a huge question though :) The short answer would be you prior to selecting what you want to match to and then the program directors and selection committees at the various schools.

Is there a lot of employment for radiologists? After you finish your residency, what happens then?

Is there a lot of employment for radiologists? After you finish your residency, what happens then?

then I am a radiologist and I go find a job :) Well actually I do a fellowship first and then go get a job but that is the main idea anyway.

as for employment, currently there is a good market. Like everything in the world it can go up and down of course. It is projected to be pretty good for some time, but of course projecting that ultimately makes it not true :)

Interesting, Radiology is definitely my #1 and I am wondering how its going to work at OttawaU Med?? Like for instance ELE1900 (Clinical Placement), can I choose Radiology? And would someone like yourself be a supervisor over me or how does that work :)?

Interesting, Radiology is definitely my #1 and I am wondering how its going to work at OttawaU Med?? Like for instance ELE1900 (Clinical Placement), can I choose Radiology? And would someone like yourself be a supervisor over me or how does that work :)?

Ha :) if it is like other schools residents teach med students when they come through the system. You don't seem to have the same person though for more than a few sessions at most generally.

Eventually I think I will be helping with that. Hopefully I can help out with the Ottawa medical students radiology club as well.

Are you a med student?

Strictly out of curiosity, why does eveyone keep asking orcamute what year in med he is in? Is it because he is asking questions over his pay grade?

(I recall him saying he just got admitted to Ottawa med last month).

ha - I am not sure why but I find that statement funny :)

1. you should be able to determine what fits better for you, your preferred choice, ortho and rads have pretty different day to day activities

2. a) get to know the people in the program: staff, residents, technicians - get all of their opinions, be friendly, see what happens behind the scenes...

B) try to get an idea who will play a role on the admission committee (I personally didnt care about that until it came down to carms time in 4th year)

3. Reference letters (really choose people who know you well and/or are well know in the field)

4. articulate yourself well in your essays for carms, how determined are you for the chosen specialty, how have you come to the decision, what makes it a perfect fit for you

5. ultimate decision comes down to: interview - completed my members of the admission committee (includes staff radiologist, program director, chief residents, other residents by word of mouth, sometimes program secretaries too!)

Cheers

1. you should be able to determine what fits better for you, your preferred choice, ortho and rads have pretty different day to day activities

2. a) get to know the people in the program: staff, residents, technicians - get all of their opinions, be friendly, see what happens behind the scenes...

B) try to get an idea who will play a role on the admission committee (I personally didnt care about that until it came down to carms time in 4th year)

3. Reference letters (really choose people who know you well and/or are well know in the field)

4. articulate yourself well in your essays for carms, how determined are you for the chosen specialty, how have you come to the decision, what makes it a perfect fit for you

5. ultimate decision comes down to: interview - completed my members of the admission committee (includes staff radiologist, program director, chief residents, other residents by word of mouth, sometimes program secretaries too!)

Cheers

BTW astudentis can I ask where matched? (if you don't want to say in public feel free to PM me)!

Strictly out of curiosity, why does eveyone keep asking orcamute what year in med he is in? Is it because he is asking questions over his pay grade?

(I recall him saying he just got admitted to Ottawa med last month).

Yeah basically. He is also quoting specific course codes at u Ottawa and I didn't think he would know these codes so soon if he was just accepted.

You know when I think about this, I don't have a problem with people asking questions about issues too far ahead of their training.

I DO have an issue with people asking superficial questions about what kind of cars everyone drives, how much money they make, what the lifestyle is like without even buckling down and being motivated about the academics and patient care.

Archived