Premed 101 Forums

Timing of vacation in summer after 1st year

From what I understand, we get 1 week off in the summer after 1st year. Is this 1 week off the same for everyone? Or does it depend on each person's electives?

The reason I ask is because my family is planning a vacation and I was wondering if I would be able to schedule my electives around the week that I would be travelling?

Thanks!

From what I understand, we get 1 week off in the summer after 1st year. Is this 1 week off the same for everyone? Or does it depend on each person's electives?

The reason I ask is because my family is planning a vacation and I was wondering if I would be able to schedule my electives around the week that I would be travelling?

Thanks!

Wow, I'd be careful with planning a vacation during med school so far in advance, esp with McMaster's schedule. Make sure you get travel insurance or that there's flexibility built into your travel arrangements just in case. For additional coverage, I'd also email the Faculty to get an 'official' response from them as to whether my travel plans would be feasible. Ask them specifically which dates are 'safe' to plan for vacation. That way, you're unlikely to get any nasty surprises (and you've got proof that you took your responsibilities and double-checked if ever something shows up).

Seriously, during the summer electives period, you can take your vacation week whenever you want. You will receive this schedule at the latest during o week, but in general, you will be on electives from the first week of July to the second last week of August. Don't worry about anything told to you by anyone other than Mac students.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived