Premed 101 Forums

How hard is it to get a good GPA at Western?

So I'm going to Western next year, probably gonna do the medical science program, although my interests are broad.

Basically, Western has one of the highest entering student average in the province (second only to Waterloo if I'm not mistaken). TONS of kids are going into the medical science program (which has a cutoff of 87%) and almost all of them basically want to become doctors. Current Western students, is the competition too cut-throat? Is the marking easy or fair? I picked Western over UofT because of the uoft horror stories but on an objective level, uoft actually sounds easier.

Hi I just finished first year. All the exams were very fair except the calc final (which they suddenly made a LOT harder compared to the past exams and barely gave us any warning/practice for it). There's also no curving in any course, class averages are high 60s low 70s as expected.

So I'm going to Western next year, probably gonna do the medical science program, although my interests are broad.

Basically, Western has one of the highest entering student average in the province (second only to Waterloo if I'm not mistaken). TONS of kids are going into the medical science program (which has a cutoff of 87%) and almost all of them basically want to become doctors. Current Western students, is the competition too cut-throat? Is the marking easy or fair? I picked Western over UofT because of the uoft horror stories but on an objective level, uoft actually sounds easier.

Keep in mind that there are kids with inflated high school averages.

My university average actually went UP when I went to Western.

And of course a lot of people's averages drop.

For example: my calculus mark in high school was merely a 80.

My first midterm in university was 100 in calculus. (I ended the course with a 96).

However, I might be one of the few exceptions out there but that was ONLY for some courses.

Other courses I dropped A LOT like biology and chemistry.

Everyone is different but I'll warn you about biology.

Haffie will probably be teaching you guys biology in first year. BE PREPARED

Keep in mind that there are kids with inflated high school averages.

My university average actually went UP when I went to Western.

And of course a lot of people's averages drop.

For example: my calculus mark in high school was merely a 80.

My first midterm in university was 100 in calculus. (I ended the course with a 96).

However, I might be one of the few exceptions out there but that was ONLY for some courses.

Other courses I dropped A LOT like biology and chemistry.

Everyone is different but I'll warn you about biology.

Haffie will probably be teaching you guys biology in first year. BE PREPARED

My highschool calc mark was 75 and I also ended the course with 96, even with the messed up final. APPARENTLY the final had an average of 40 something % and they just boosted everyone 10%. They never even told us what the calc final average was, probably because there would be a huge riot since it was night and day compared to any of the previous finals. And yes, bio is definitely the hardest first year science course. No matter how well you prepare, it's one of those courses where you still doubt your answers just cause of the way they ask the questions and phrase the answers (multiple multiples). Plus the fact that the midterms are always out of something horrendous like 30. But overall, western is nice.

It's ok to have a few bad marks but LEARN from them.

I think the biggest mistakes that people make coming into university is they get too caught up with MARKS because they're always looking to get into medical school early.

It doesn't happen like that. YES marks matter, BUT if you never learn properly you'll NEVER get the good marks.

For me, the calculus 1000 final was a joke. I got 100% in that course (no brag, and I have no reason to brag since I'm anonymous anyway ^^) and didn't do any of the homework (just the past exams). I did get 94% in high school calc (from a very good high school) so I had a strong foundation. But the final exam wasn't hard, I don't recall a single "unfair" question on the exam. It's just idiots that don't do their homework and complain. The average for that final exam before the boost was 53%, which says a lot about the quality of students at western

Watch out for biology though. The only advice I can give you for this course is attend office hours regularly. You'll find it hard to find time to do this considering you have 28 hours of class per week, but if you don't know how the prof's minds work, you will find the exams very vague and difficult.

If you want my advice for the courses, here's my advice:

For chemistry, skip every class and just get the example solutions from a friend or something. The profs don't say anything useful in class, especially calvin (and even lee, he's a great prof, but I just found class a waste of time)

For physics, if you take zinkie physics, you are guaranteed a 95%+ the moment you even register for that course. It's the most birdiest of the bird course you will ever experience on the face of this planet. You literally do NOTHING in that course (no lecture, no tutorial, only 3 hour labs every 2 weeks) and you're guaranteed a 4.0. It's actually funny how joke of a course it is. I don't know how this course is allowed in this university. It's actually a shame how you can get a 100% in a course and you know NOTHING about physics.

For calculus, DON'T GO TO CLASS. Do all the past exams for calc 1000, and for calc 1301, do all the textbook recommend problems and all the past exams (unless you took AP BC calc in high school, then you're good without doing the homework).

For psych (if you take it), do all the readings.

For biology, don't go to lecture, but listen and take notes on the archive. Attend office hours like i said. Make study groups with your friends and discuss material (don't underestimate this step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And make sure you DON'T buy the clicker for biology. I spent $60 and didn't even open it from the wrapping..

As you can see, you don't actually have to go to any of your classes except your labs and tutorials.

But I didn't get 90+ in biology (far from it actually), so take my advice for biology with a grain of salt :)

There's also no curving in any course, class averages are high 60s low 70s as expected.

calc and bio got curved substantially...

P.S. Similar to people in this thread, I dropped a lot (compared to high school) in chem and bio but my other marks are higher. I guess the only legit courses at western are chem and bio lol

For me, the calculus 1000 final was a joke. I got 100% in that course (no brag, and I have no reason to brag since I'm anonymous anyway ^^) and didn't do any of the homework (just the past exams). I did get 94% in high school calc (from a very good high school) so I had a strong foundation. But the final exam wasn't hard, I don't recall a single "unfair" question on the exam. It's just idiots that don't do their homework and complain. The average for that final exam before the boost was 53%, which says a lot about the quality of students at western

Watch out for biology though. The only advice I can give you for this course is attend office hours regularly. You'll find it hard to find time to do this considering you have 28 hours of class per week, but if you don't know how the prof's minds work, you will find the exams very vague and difficult.

If you want my advice for the courses, here's my advice:

For chemistry, skip every class and just get the example solutions from a friend or something. The profs don't say anything useful in class, especially calvin (and even lee, he's a great prof, but I just found class a waste of time)

For physics, if you take zinkie physics, you are guaranteed a 95%+ the moment you even register for that course. It's the most birdiest of the bird course you will ever experience on the face of this planet. You literally do NOTHING in that course (no lecture, no tutorial, only 3 hour labs every 2 weeks) and you're guaranteed a 4.0. It's actually funny how joke of a course it is. I don't know how this course is allowed in this university. It's actually a shame how you can get a 100% in a course and you know NOTHING about physics.

For calculus, DON'T GO TO CLASS. Do all the past exams for calc 1000, and for calc 1301, do all the textbook recommend problems and all the past exams (unless you took AP BC calc in high school, then you're good without doing the homework).

For psych (if you take it), do all the readings.

For biology, don't go to lecture, but listen and take notes on the archive. Attend office hours like i said. Make study groups with your friends and discuss material (don't underestimate this step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And make sure you DON'T buy the clicker for biology. I spent $60 and didn't even open it from the wrapping..

As you can see, you don't actually have to go to any of your classes except your labs and tutorials.

But I didn't get 90+ in biology (far from it actually), so take my advice for biology with a grain of salt :)

calc and bio got curved substantially...

P.S. Similar to people in this thread, I dropped a lot (compared to high school) in chem and bio but my other marks are higher. I guess the only legit courses at western are chem and bio lol

I agree with some thing you said and I disagree with some.

Everyone is different in terms of the amount of material they learn from high school. Go to every class and see which YOU think are the ones you should go to.

As for chem I suggest going to class and doing all the practice questions from the textbook. I struggled a bit with chem FYI

Bio- above post is perfect although I'd recommend going to class.

Physics- if you are going to do the MCAT I suggest you DO NOT take zinke physics. Take the other one if u actually want to learn something.

Calc- I heard in recent years they changed the format of the exams so it got harder but the years I took it, it was pretty easy.

Psych- I do not recommend taking this course unless you like reading.

I find that with psych it's either you love it or you hate it.

Personally, I've taken psych 1st year and I regret it. I think it's the wrong elective to take during 1st year. Pick something else

Sorry, by no courses at western are curved i meant non of them run on a true curve (like uoft). Some courses are linearly adjusted (calc and bio) by the removal of questions if the marks are too low. But this was the first time calc was adjusted in 25 years and it only happened substantially for one bio midterm.

If you want 90+ both semesters of bio it's gonna require not only hard work but also luck. What I did was just memorize everything on the lecture slides. Chem you can totally get 90+ given you do all the homework. The exam questions dont stray too far from the assigned questions and past exams.

Physics- if you are going to do the MCAT I suggest you DO NOT take zinke physics. Take the other one if u actually want to learn something.

It's a matter of what you value more: GPA or MCAT?

I took the real physics and didn't get a 4.0 in 1302 (the second semester one). I definitely learned a lot but if you think it's worth the GPA hit then go ahead... I personally don't think it's worth it. You actually have to go to every lecture (because the prof is a **** and answers the slide examples only in class), you actually have tutorials, quizzes every other week, assignments every week that take 2+ hours, etc.. it's just overall a much more stressful course that may affect your performance in your other courses just because of the amount of time it takes..

If gallagher is teaching next year, I don't recommend it at all. Horrible prof. Posted the formula sheet for the final exam 12 hours before the exam when everyone had calculus final to worry about. Honestly this prof has to get fired. Freaking horrible, she doesn't knwo her **** and when you go to her with questions she doesn't answer them. Both midterm and final exam averages were in the low 60s, and the course never got curved -_-''

1301 was a joke though. Prof wasn't that great either but it's an easy course.

Oh and FYI, U of T doesn't bell curve. And for western, both midterms of bio got boosted/curved (twice and thrice) (remember maxwell's midterm got boosted 12%+ and haffie's midterm had question corrections so around 3%+, then after the final exam maxwell's midterm got boosted another 3%+ because the course average was below 70%).

I took the real physics and didn't get a 4.0 in 1302 (the second semester one). I definitely learned a lot but if you think it's worth the GPA hit then go ahead... I personally don't think it's worth it. You actually have to go to every lecture (because the prof is a **** and answers the slide examples only in class), you actually have tutorials, quizzes every other week, assignments every week that take 2+ hours, etc.. it's just overall a much more stressful course that may affect your performance in your other courses just because of the amount of time it takes..

If gallagher is teaching next year, I don't recommend it at all. Horrible prof. Posted the formula sheet for the final exam 12 hours before the exam when everyone had calculus final to worry about. Honestly this prof has to get fired. Freaking horrible, she doesn't knwo her **** and when you go to her with questions she doesn't answer them. Both midterm and final exam averages were in the low 60s, and the course never got curved -_-''

Oh and FYI, U of T doesn't bell curve. And for western, both midterms of bio got boosted/curved (twice and thrice) (remember maxwell's midterm got boosted 12%+ and haffie's midterm had question corrections so around 3%+, then after the final exam maxwell's midterm got boosted another 3%+ because the course average was below 70%).

the last statement about UofT is wrong they have predetermined averages that the classes must be bellow and they do like the bell curve. I know this as I know many people that a currently there and graduated, I also have a connection to an associate professor there that confirmed this to me when I asked if they curve the grades.

Take Zinke physics (1028/1029) instead of the classical combination (1031/1302) that uses calculus-based math. The physics on the MCAT is by far the most elementary of the subject matter (High school physics using algebra) you will have to prepare for.

For biology, the course itself (content wise) is not loaded, and the concepts are all understandable. The exams are what usually hurt people, because they only study enough to understand the concepts without being able to manipulate them. Having a study group to discuss the content with helps with this.

Chemistry and calculus are the effort=marks courses of first year. However much you practice will determine how high your mark is. Very realistic for any MedSci student to do well in these courses.

Also, like the above poster said, don't skip all your lectures. The habits learned from this CANNOT be carried into further years. First year is quite a transitional year where all the profs upload their notes and most of them even upload lecture recordings! That being said, physics 1028/1029 are absolutely useless when it comes to attending lectures. I don't even recommend listening to them online.

The atmosphere is not competitive but it is one of stress among most students (all in it together type of thing). Stress and time management are crucial skills for smooth sailing throughout university; work on developing them.

I don't know about overall average of all programs, but why does that matter? Do you think highschool means anything? And the science cutoff at western is lower than many other programs in ontario anyways. If the class avgs are between 65-75 as people here have said, then there is no need to be scared. Western is a party school. You will have an easy time there.

I didn't get over 90 in second semester physics either. I still recommend you take it and actually do the work. I took physics 1301/1302 2 years ago and overall I thought it was alright in terms of the course. Yes you have quizzes every two weeks BUT it forces you to actually understand the concepts and do your homework instead of leaving it until the last minute

Zinke physics is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY USELESS. Everyone that I know told me it's a COMPLETELY USELESS CLASS. He rants on and on about nothing in class and goes off topic. For example: if the question says a boy is on a swing calculate the tension of the rope or something.

Zinke will talk about the weight of the boy and how it compares to a girl for like the entire class.

Take Zinke physics (1028/1029) instead of the classical combination (1031/1302) that uses calculus-based math. The physics on the MCAT is by far the most elementary of the subject matter (High school physics using algebra) you will have to prepare for.

THERE WAS NO CALCULUS AT ALL in physics 1301/1302. I agree that some profs in that course was UTTERLY USELESS but if you don't understand something GO TO YOUR TA. They explain the concepts very very well.

If all that fails just go on youtube or khan academy and search the topics that they are trying to teach.

Also, the physics that is on the MCAT covers waves, electromagnetism, fluid, rotational motion in which YOU DO NOT LEARN IN zinke physics. <-- I'm pretty sure you don't

Zinke physics is more for people that didn't take physics in high school.

Even if you didn't take physics in high school the real physics 1301/1302 is still easier.

If you try to find other resources(i.e practice questions) or another way to explain stuff for zinke physics hehe good luck.

where as real physics you have A LOT of very good resources online such as khan academy that teaches you the course.

Forgive me for stating 1301/1302 had calculus, my friend who took the courses painted such a picture when complaining about what he had to go through.

With respect to the physics topics on the MCAT that you have mentioned and their lack of relevance to 1028/1029, I'll dispel that by pointing out some of chapters we covered:

Waves

*Chapter 17 - The Ear and Communication: Longitudinal Waves

(Fair enough, transverse and standing waves are not in this course)

Electromagnetism

*Chapter 13 - The Water Molecule: Static Electricity

*Chapter 14 - Nervous System: The Flow of Charges

Fluids

*Chapter 11 - Liquid Water and Aqueous Solutions: Static Fluids

*Chapter 12 - Cardiovascular system: Fluid Flow

Rotational Motion

*Chapter 5 - Kinesiology: The Action of Forces at Joints

(This chapter covered rotational motion)

Overall, the 1028/1029 experience was one that posed no difficulty. The fact that there is no midterm for the course makes focusing on your other courses that much easier. Zinke may be terrible at teaching (Same for 1301/1302 profs) but the material in the textbook is coherent and easy to master.

Going into the exam with a 90+ in this course is doable by any student who simply takes the time to do all the quizzes and participation marks. The exam is even curved most years.

It's comparing an easy 4.0 in physiological physics v.s. the more difficult (you can't argue this even if 1301/1302 is easy) classical physics.

P.S. Having grade 12U physics will more than suffice when preparing for the MCAT with the appropriate prep material.

Forgive me for stating 1301/1302 had calculus, my friend who took the courses painted such a picture when complaining about what he had to go through.

With respect to the physics topics on the MCAT that you have mentioned and their lack of relevance to 1028/1029, I'll dispel that by pointing out some of chapters we covered:

Waves

*Chapter 17 - The Ear and Communication: Longitudinal Waves

(Fair enough, transverse and standing waves are not in this course)

Electromagnetism

*Chapter 13 - The Water Molecule: Static Electricity

*Chapter 14 - Nervous System: The Flow of Charges

Fluids

*Chapter 11 - Liquid Water and Aqueous Solutions: Static Fluids

*Chapter 12 - Cardiovascular system: Fluid Flow

Rotational Motion

*Chapter 5 - Kinesiology: The Action of Forces at Joints

(This chapter covered rotational motion)

Overall, the 1028/1029 experience was one that posed no difficulty. The fact that there is no midterm for the course makes focusing on your other courses that much easier. Zinke may be terrible at teaching (Same for 1301/1302 profs) but the material in the textbook is coherent and easy to master.

Going into the exam with a 90+ in this course is doable by any student who simply takes the time to do all the quizzes and participation marks. The exam is even curved most years.

It's comparing an easy 4.0 in physiological physics v.s. the more difficult (you can't argue this even if 1301/1302 is easy) classical physics.

P.S. Having grade 12U physics will more than suffice when preparing for the MCAT with the appropriate prep material.

I guess in the end it really depends on the person.

For readers out there I'll simply zinke physics and classical physics into a sample question(hopefully its reflective of what both the course is looking for)

If you are asked to draw a free body diagram of a bird in the air

For classical physics its just Fg.

Next, it would say that the bird suddenly lost its wings and is falling straight down and hit the ground in 4 seconds. Given its acceleration and final velocity how far did the bird fall from? That is what a typical question is from classical physics

Next turn that into zinke physics.

The free body diagram will be asking you for ALL of the forces acting on the bird.

1st: Fg obviously. Then would be the force of air resistance pulling the bird back. And you probably have to state depending on what stage of flight the bird is in I.e. wings down or wings up the forces acting on the bird is also different. Lets not forget Newton's third law. For the Fg you'll probably have to specify that it's the force of the earth pulling on the bird and not the bird pulling on the earth.

I can't think of what zinke would ask next......

I just think that normal physics would be easier because its pretty much a continuation of high school whereas zinke physic will drive you crazy.

Well.... At least for me I know zinke will drive me crazy.

I guess in the end it really depends on the person.

For readers out there I'll simply zinke physics and classical physics into a sample question(hopefully its reflective of what both the course is looking for)

If you are asked to draw a free body diagram of a bird in the air

For classical physics its just Fg.

Next, it would say that the bird suddenly lost its wings and is falling straight down and hit the ground in 4 seconds. Given its acceleration and final velocity how far did the bird fall from? That is what a typical question is from classical physics

Next turn that into zinke physics.

The free body diagram will be asking you for ALL of the forces acting on the bird.

1st: Fg obviously. Then would be the force of air resistance pulling the bird back. And you probably have to state depending on what stage of flight the bird is in I.e. wings down or wings up the forces acting on the bird is also different. Lets not forget Newton's third law. For the Fg you'll probably have to specify that it's the force of the earth pulling on the bird and not the bird pulling on the earth.

I can't think of what zinke would ask next......

I just think that normal physics would be easier because its pretty much a continuation of high school whereas zinke physic will drive you crazy.

Well.... At least for me I know zinke will drive me crazy.

Doesn't the bird also exert a graviational force on the earth? XD

Thanks for all the tips guise. LOL I'm not even taking physics this year so I'll worry about Zinke vs 1301 next summer.

I took IB HL Chem and Math but I did terrible in both of them, but at least I know all the material. I'm not a math person so I'm probably gonna go through the entire first-year Stewart calc textbook this summer (the one uwo recommends).

The only reason why I took Chem and Math as IB was because I'm so weak in them. Incidentally those are the only two courses that I'm worried about next year.

As for Haffie' Bio, idek. I'll see when I get there.

Jesus christ, I'm so anxious. Gotta get that 3.8+ next year or I'm reevaluating my life goals.

Thanks for all the tips guise. LOL I'm not even taking physics this year so I'll worry about Zinke vs 1301 next summer.

I took IB HL Chem and Math but I did terrible in both of them, but at least I know all the material. I'm not a math person so I'm probably gonna go through the entire first-year Stewart calc textbook this summer (the one uwo recommends).

The only reason why I took Chem and Math as IB was because I'm so weak in them. Incidentally those are the only two courses that I'm worried about next year.

As for Haffie' Bio, idek. I'll see when I get there.

Jesus christ, I'm so anxious. Gotta get that 3.8+ next year or I'm reevaluating my life goals.

there's no way you're getting through all of stewert calculus... half the **** in that textbook is second year stuff (epsilon delta limits, etc..). search on google for the course website of calc 1000 and 1301 and you will see what chapters are acutally covered and the recommended problems

Archived