Premed 101 Forums

Omsw 2013

Do all medical students in Ontario go? Or does it depend on if your school wants you to go?

nope - all schools are invited and have a quota for the number of students that can go (I ran the website and online registration system for OMSW for two years ).

What's the process to attend? Do I first join OMA/CMA ($22) and then wait during the school year to register?

Oh don't worry about that yet - your vp external will give you all the details. You just have to sign up - you don't have to be a member of the Oma etc :)

Given that most medical associations take political stances and engage in lobbying, I find it most comforting that membership is not mandatory. People in other professions do not have this choice.

It is harder not to be a member as a doctor in the end - it just isn't required now as medical students. We are all effectively in a weird hybrid of being private contractors couple with unionized rates where we pay union dues and have our union negotiate and lobby on our behalf. That lobbying is critical for the long term viability of the profession under our current medical system - i.e. it is a public system so this is the best way for us to obtain the income we desire. Make no mistake though it has all the advantages and disadvantages of being unionized.

Regarding lobbying, I was referring more to the notion that stances are taken on things other than physician compensation - i.e. issues that physicians as a group don't necessarily agree on. Therefore mandatory membership means, for a certain segment of the population, the double insult of the association using your money and your name to support causes that may harm you, or at least that you disagree with.

Regarding lobbying, I was referring more to the notion that stances are taken on things other than physician compensation - i.e. issues that physicians as a group don't necessarily agree on. Therefore mandatory membership means, for a certain segment of the population, the double insult of the association using your money and your name to support causes that may harm you, or at least that you disagree with.

Oh I was including that as well - in order to get political traction they have to be in the press etc with more than "we want more money for our members" - the message has to be more political, you have to talk about some else as well. All unions are like that to some degree - there is always some persistent image and impression they are trying to produce. I am not saying this strictly in the machiavellian sense - you can strongly believe and support those secondary messages as well but it is hard to deny they don't have at least some other effects.

Because it is a union and you benefit from the contracts they create you will end up supporting them at least financially. They are the only ones legally that can bargain with the government.

Archived