Premed 101 Forums

U of C Yearly Schedule?

Can any of you smart cookies give me an idea of the yearly schedule for Calgary? School begins in July 25, runs to the end of April 2014. When does our 6 week elective start and end and is there a summer break at all? When would 2nd year classes resume? Finally, when does clerkship run from and for how long?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Can any of you smart cookies give me an idea of the yearly schedule for Calgary? School begins in July 25, runs to the end of April 2014. When does our 6 week elective start and end and is there a summer break at all? When would 2nd year classes resume? Finally, when does clerkship run from and for how long?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

i think they have recently added these links on their webpage so you can just find it there.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/admissions/applicants

at the bottom of this link check year 1 (for our class) and year 2 time table (for class of 2015, so get an idea how it might be for next year), it also has dates for electives and clerkship stuff.

From what I can tell, It is the following:

You get 2 weeks off at Christmas

After year 1 (end of March) you get 2 weeks off (Last week of March, 1st week of April)

Year 2 begins and you have block 4, then 6 weeks electives, then the rest of the year. I'd imagine once again it is 2 weeks off at Christmas and hopefully? 2 weeks off between years 2 and 3.

No... You do not get a summer off, that is the benefit/travesty of having a 3 year program. While at other schools you do get summers off, it is expected that you do something like shadowing or research meaning the summers off aren't really off...

From what I can tell, It is the following:

You get 2 weeks off at Christmas

After year 1 (end of March) you get 2 weeks off (Last week of March, 1st week of April)

Year 2 begins and you have block 4, then 6 weeks electives, then the rest of the year. I'd imagine once again it is 2 weeks off at Christmas and hopefully? 2 weeks off between years 2 and 3.

No... You do not get a summer off, that is the benefit/travesty of having a 3 year program. While at other schools you do get summers off, it is expected that you do something like shadowing or research meaning the summers off aren't really off...

You do get XMas off (1 week) in year two, but no time off between years 2 and 3 unfortunately (after course 7, you do 4 weeks of 'Intro to Clerkship' and 'Integrative' and then straight into Clerkship).

Clerkship is 54 weeks (including the first 6 weeks of electives) plus XMas (1 week) and 2 weeks off the following February for caRMS interviews.

How is clerkship scheduled? How many weeks of electives do students get pre-carms?

thanks

6 weeks of pre-clerkship electives + 80 hours of AEBM

6 weeks of electives at the start of clerkship for everyone

4 additional weeks of electives - for some before the caRMS deadline, for others, after (depends on which clerkship track you receive).

As for clerkship rotations: 6 weeks peds, family, surg, obs/gyn, psych; 2 weeks anesthesia; 12 weeks internal med/emerg.

There are also lots of different selectives within each rotations (i.e., on internal med, you would do 4 weeks MTU/2 weeks emerg, and then 3 x 2 weeks of whatever selective you wanted, i.e., GI, endo, cardiology, resp, etc...)

• 7 months later...

You can do your electives anywhere you like, but as with any school, you have to apply to each elective site individually so availability may be limited in some instances.

I'll note that the schedule is different now, with 4 weeks of preclerkship electives in the summer and the other 2 weeks of preclerkship electives was moved to clerkship.

I honestly find the 3 year program schedule not too intense, even with me doing shadowing, research and other miscellaneous ECs outside of class. You get used to the pace of things and adapt your time management skills accordingly.

You can do your electives anywhere you like, but as with any school, you have to apply to each elective site individually so availability may be limited in some instances.

I'll note that the schedule is different now, with 4 weeks of preclerkship electives in the summer and the other 2 weeks of preclerkship electives was moved to clerkship.

I honestly find the 3 year program schedule not too intense, even with me doing shadowing, research and other miscellaneous ECs outside of class. You get used to the pace of things and adapt your time management skills accordingly.

How would you compare the "pace" to your undergrad?

That's good news! As someone who will potentially be an OOP student next year, it would be nice to do electives in my home province (ON) so I can be with my family for those weeks :)

Oh god, wish I didn't see this thread. 3 year program seems a little intense especially if you like doing a lot of things outside of class.

I don't know. What Dr. Walker said at the interview about not expecting athletes to perform at a high level while taking 4 months off/year really stuck with me.

I think it can definitely be a good thing.

On another note, can any Calgary med students comment on what having most of your elective time before core rotations is like?

If you use that time for "audition" rotations at other centres, how can you perform at a high level when you haven't done any core rotations?

Also, lots of centres only have 4 week rotations, so that would mean you would only have time for one?

Calgary is probably going to be my first choice if I get in, so please don't take this as a negative comment about the school! Just looking for more info.

Thanks!

How would you compare the "pace" to your undergrad?

That's good news! As someone who will potentially be an OOP student next year, it would be nice to do electives in my home province (BC) so I can be with my family for those weeks :)

I would say it's about the same (and sometimes less) than the pace of my undergrad, and I wasn't in a super intense undergrad degree or anything. I think part of the reason is that learning medicine is more of a gradual process and less of a cram-the-night-before-the-exam type learning. For instance, you'll learn about say Asthma in lecture, then reemphasize how Asthma presents in a patient in small groups and then see a patient with Asthma in the clinic. After all this, most students should have a pretty decent understanding of Asthma without that much out-of-school studying. Now there's of course times where you'll have to supplement this learning with your own studies after class, but I still find there's definitely time to do other things outside of school.

Of course, everybody has a different style of learning, but I don't think UofC's 3 year program prevents you from exploring and finding your own style.

I would say it's about the same (and sometimes less) than the pace of my undergrad, and I wasn't in a super intense undergrad degree or anything. I think part of the reason is that learning medicine is more of a gradual process and less of a cram-the-night-before-the-exam type learning. For instance, you'll learn about say Asthma in lecture, then reemphasize how Asthma presents in a patient in small groups and then see a patient with Asthma in the clinic. After all this, most students should have a pretty decent understanding of Asthma without that much out-of-school studying. Now there's of course times where you'll have to supplement this learning with your own studies after class, but I still find there's definitely time to do other things outside of school.

Of course, everybody has a different style of learning, but I don't think UofC's 3 year program prevents you from exploring and finding your own style.

Thanks a lot sixstar!

While I do agree with sixstar that U of C is manageable in three years, I disagree with the assertion that the program isn't intense.

Though U of C has a great program, I am finding it exhausting. This is not because of the day to day schedule but more so because of the lack of break time. As a younger student, I wish that I had applied more broadly because I am already craving a vacation and also wish that there was more time for me to do things that have nothing to do with med school and also have more time to figure out what residency I want without feeling pressured by the time crunch.

I think U of C is a great fit for many people, but for those who are younger or who are confused about what program they wish to pursue for after, I would not discourage them from considering an alternate program solely for the extra time.

However, for decided people, mature students or even those who know they have the stamina to essentially complete three years in a row, U of C has a terrific atmosphere, amazing teachers and great facilities and could be the perfect school for you. It just depends on your priorities.

• 1 year later...

I don't know. What Dr. Walker said at the interview about not expecting athletes to perform at a high level while taking 4 months off/year really stuck with me.

I think it can definitely be a good thing.

On another note, can any Calgary med students comment on what having most of your elective time before core rotations is like?

If you use that time for "audition" rotations at other centres, how can you perform at a high level when you haven't done any core rotations?

Also, lots of centres only have 4 week rotations, so that would mean you would only have time for one?

Calgary is probably going to be my first choice if I get in, so please don't take this as a negative comment about the school! Just looking for more info.

Thanks!

I know you're still around amichel, so hopefully you see this...

Did you ever receive an answer to these questions? Since you ended up choosing Calgary I'm assuming that you did, but as a fellow BC applicant, I'd really like to know my chances for matching to residency in BC if I choose Calgary's 3 year program.

I know you're still around amichel, so hopefully you see this...

Did you ever receive an answer to these questions? Since you ended up choosing Calgary I'm assuming that you did, but as a fellow BC applicant, I'd really like to know my chances for matching to residency in BC if I choose Calgary's 3 year program.

Hey, yep I'm around! I wouldn't say I have all the answers, but I'm definitely far less worried about it than I was a year ago, for a couple reasons

A) We do get quite a lot of experience prior to electives. As much as someome who's done a whole third year? No. But it's not insignificant. Between 4 weeks of preclerkship electives, clinical core in every course, and our medical skills course (which is more extensive than a lot of schools) , I don't feel like I'll be unprepared.

B ) I've heard from multiple sources that you are evaluated at the level you are at. Most preceptors understand the challenges of 3 year program and evaluate accordingly.

C) I also want to match back to BC, but going out of province for med school has made me realize that I'd be happy elsewhere, too, so I worry about it less.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Hey, yep I'm around! I wouldn't say I have all the answers, but I'm definitely far less worried about it than I was a year ago, for a couple reasons

A) We do get quite a lot of experience prior to electives. As much as someome who's done a whole third year? No. But it's not insignificant. Between 4 weeks of preclerkship electives, clinical core in every course, and our medical skills course (which is more extensive than a lot of schools) , I don't feel like I'll be unprepared.

B ) I've heard from multiple sources that you are evaluated at the level you are at. Most preceptors understand the challenges of 3 year program and evaluate accordingly.

C) I also want to match back to BC, but going out of province for med school has made me realize that I'd be happy elsewhere, too, so I worry about it less.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Appreciate the responses! Had a few more questions:

- I understand that Calgary has different schedule streams, and some schedule electives after CaRMS. Your schedule is determined by a lottery system. Do you have any concerns with getting a schedule that fits in your electives before CaRMS, or is that not too big of an issue? Seems a bit scary to base that on luck...

- I've heard to have a chance at matching to a competitive program, you need to do a lot of extra curriculars during med school, such as research, shadowing, etc. Do you find that you have enough time to do that leading up to clerkship?

Thanks!

Appreciate the responses! Had a few more questions:

- I understand that Calgary has different schedule streams, and some schedule electives after CaRMS. Your schedule is determined by a lottery system. Do you have any concerns with getting a schedule that fits in your electives before CaRMS, or is that not too big of an issue? Seems a bit scary to base that on luck...

- I've heard to have a chance at matching to a competitive program, you need to do a lot of extra curriculars during med school, such as research, shadowing, etc. Do you find that you have enough time to do that leading up to clerkship?

Thanks!

There are different streams, but they all have the bulk of your electives pre carms. There are definitely some that are better than others but none of them are really going to screw you over electives wise. It's more about trying to get your core rotations in your chosen specialty pre cards.

I haven't done that many extra curricular things this year, just trying to get used to med school. But I have done some (club exec, a few random things), and I can definitely see having time for more if I wanted to! Just a matter of being efficient with your time.

Archived