Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoff

Hi guys I'm looking to apply to queens this year. My MCAT was 9vr/12ps/12bs. Will having the 9 kill my chances? I mean does queens ever have a 9 cutoff for vr or is it consistently 10+?

I don't know of anyone personally or on PM101 who received an interview with VR 9 unfortunately :( I got a similar MCAT score the first time I took the test and chose to rewrite because of that section

Hi guys I'm looking to apply to queens this year. My MCAT was 9vr/12ps/12bs. Will having the 9 kill my chances? I mean does queens ever have a 9 cutoff for vr or is it consistently 10+?

I believe they say a reasonably balanced score of 30+ with 10-10-10 as a minimum. Sorry man, good luck!

If you happen to have scored a 10 on VR on your previous MCAT attempts (regardless of PS and BS), then you have a solid chance for an interview, otherwise highly unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
Many Canadian schools are cuckoo for VR it seems. It's always interesting to see the great applicants who have to apply to the U.S. because of their VR score.

lol iirc, pm101 members speculated/semi-concluded one year that Queen's had set an R cut-off :confused: . have they ever gone above that? and yes, that's a serious question LOL. i ask solely due to the prospect of laughter at such an absurd prospect having happened.

lol iirc, pm101 members speculated/semi-concluded one year that Queen's had set an R cut-off :confused: . have they ever gone above that? and yes, that's a serious question LOL. i ask solely due to the prospect of laughter at such an absurd prospect having happened.

There is no way they went above R. S is like 96th percentile. They could make an S in writing the only requirement for the MCAT and interview just the right number of applicants I bet. Even R is pretty crazy (though if you look at the thread for that year it looks like R may have actually been the cutoff, I remember kicking myself for not prepping for the WS and getting only a Q).

No R was as high as they got :) and it wasn't just for one year actually.

That was way back when Queens thought the writing sample displayed something extremely important to them (they believed in the WS).

With their newer system it would make no sense going anywhere near that value anymore.

Many Canadian schools are cuckoo for VR it seems. It's always interesting to see the great applicants who have to apply to the U.S. because of their VR score.

They are - kind of makes sense when you think about it though - there is some evidence from the US that is the best predictor of end ability (although you can argue their points on that one) and the vast majority of applicants are science majors so the BS and PS sections do not discriminant ability as well (you already know they are good at science generally from the GPA, now you actually want something else to tell them apart). The WS is even optional now of course.

They are - kind of makes sense when you think about it though - there is some evidence from the US that is the best predictor of end ability (although you can argue their points on that one) and the vast majority of applicants are science majors so the BS and PS sections do not discriminant ability as well (you already know they are good at science generally from the GPA, now you actually want something else to tell them apart). The WS is even optional now of course.

I think what a lot of students find annoying about VR is that it is devilishly hard to prepare for. I managed to go from a 10 to an 11 on my second try, and I did super prep for the VR the second time around, but I still wonder if I just got lucky (it certainly feels that way). I think if someone is good at VR you can reasonably expect a 10 each time and maybe an 11, but beyond that its just luck to me, or at least that is how it seemed with all the practice tests.

hey i also have a question regarding Queens' MCAT cut offs

The Queens website mentions that they take the candidate's best test results (as opposed to most recent, which is basically how all the other schools do it). But what do they consider a best score?

Will the admissions committee be considering the highest total score or per section?

My scores:

In 2013: VR 10, PS 11, BS 11 with a total of 32

In 2011: VR 08, PS 13, BS 12 with a total of 33

Because my score of 33 is the "best score" but with an 8 in VR.

Will they look at both scores? Or just strictly the 33 and see that I had an 8 in VR :confused:

I had tried emailing them for clarifications and this is what they replied:

Hello,

We look at MCAT test scores for up to 5 years. We take the highest test score within that period, by test score we do not take individual sections we take the highest score.

Regards,

Queen’s School of Medicine Admissions

hey i also have a question regarding Queens' MCAT cut offs

The Queens website mentions that they take the candidate's best test results (as opposed to most recent, which is basically how all the other schools do it). But what do they consider a best score?

Will the admissions committee be considering the highest total score or per section?

My scores:

In 2013: VR 10, PS 11, BS 11 with a total of 32

In 2011: VR 08, PS 13, BS 12 with a total of 33

Because my score of 33 is the "best score" but with an 8 in VR.

Will they look at both scores? Or just strictly the 33 and see that I had an 8 in VR :confused:

I had tried emailing them for clarifications and this is what they replied:

Hello,

We look at MCAT test scores for up to 5 years. We take the highest test score within that period, by test score we do not take individual sections we take the highest score.

Regards,

Queen’s School of Medicine Admissions

lol, i love their terse reply, and the bad grammar (says the person who rarely capitalizes anything). seriously, the second sentence barely makes sense, imo. LOL.

anyway, i would have originally said it makes sense for them to take the MCAT that gives the applicant the best shot at admission, as that is what a "best" score should be... but the wording of that e mail seems to suggests that they will unfortunately take the 33. however, i cannot be sure.

eta: they may look at both scores, but i think their reply indicates that they'll use the 33. i hope, though, that someone else with experience can clarify. i just chimed in in case the post went unnoticed.

I'm in the exact same boat actually.

I had emailed them and all they said was they took the best score, which didn't clarify anything.

I have a score with 11ps/8vr/14bs for a 33 and a 11/10/11 for a 32. It would really be disappointing if we got screened out despite having another score that would have met the cutoff...

I really hope they take the score that would help your application the most.

Would be really bull**** to take the higher score, but then eliminate you because the VR wasn't high enough.

I'd maybe call Queen's and get them to clarify this exactly. Better to hear on the phone then through a poorly worded email.

I bet they reply like that for the reason of being able to do whatever they want. By leaving your answers up to interpretation it allows you to say that someone interpreted it wrong when questioned.

To me Queen's as a whole is the biggest wild card to get an interview invite of any school in Ontario.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived