Premed 101 Forums

Research letters?

I have been working with the same research supervisor for the past year and a half on several projects with a couple of publications. He is a practicing physician and I have been to clinic with him on several occasions but he can't comment much on my clinical skills (especially at my level). I won't have the opportunity to do an elective with him down the road, but I am wondering if I should ask him for a letter anyway, since we have worked together for so long. I don't know if it would be much use for CaRMS - I know that for some programs, up to one letter can be a research letter, but I'm not sure if anyone actually does that?

What exactly should I ask for? I asked my supervisor to write it now when everything is fresh and hold on to it and he asked me if there are instructions? He said he has written letters before but he doesn't know exactly what to do. I'm not sure what to tell him.

• 1 year later...

I am still uncertain about this - 

Programs only allow me three letters.  My letter from my research supervisor might not be my strongest letter - he never worked with me clinically - but he has a lot of connections at what will likely be my top choice program and is very well known.

Do I still pick that letter as one of my three?  I am sure it will be a positive letter, but I feel that some of my clinical letters might be a bit stronger, they just wouldn't have that kind of name power behind them.

I think my clinical letter writers might know me better, since they've worked with me more recently than my research supervisor, and I think I was more capable and confident by the time I got to my 4th year versus my first and second when I did research.

But I did have a good relationship with my research supervisor and I know he really likes me and thought I did good work, so I should probably use that letter.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived