Premed 101 Forums

Backing Up

Let's assume I apply for a competitive speciality (ENT) and would like to back up with something less competitive(FMD), how exactly would I do that?

For CaRMS, my school urges to spend the first 10 weeks in your chosen speciality. (Ie. ENT in this example)

This leaves me with 7 weeks of elective time period (does not include the 2 week Christmas break) before the national interviews which begin January 18.

Is doing for example one two week elective in family medicine for example after the 10 weeks, but before the national interviews acceptable? Or do I need to put say 10 weeks ENT, 4 weeks of family after that?

One last question - Have applicants been able to get interviews and subsequent acceptances into FMD even without having done a single elective, but rather focused on a completely different branch?

Let's assume I apply for a competitive speciality (ENT) and would like to back up with something less competitive(FMD), how exactly would I do that?

For CaRMS, my school urges to spend the first 10 weeks in your chosen speciality. (Ie. ENT in this example)

This leaves me with 7 weeks of elective time period (does not include the 2 week Christmas break) before the national interviews which begin January 18.

Is doing for example one two week elective in family medicine for example after the 10 weeks, but before the national interviews acceptable? Or do I need to put say 10 weeks ENT, 4 weeks of family after that?

One last question - Have applicants been able to get interviews and subsequent acceptances into FMD even without having done a single elective, but rather focused on a completely different branch?

Hey there! Actually was a recent thread on similar topics but it is possible to back up in some disciplines with very little

- it simply is risky to do fewer focused electives, and how risky is very location specific. For instance even for family medicine some centres what you to show via your elective choices a strong interest, others are less competitive. Backing up to a wide variety of centres will help reduce that risk. You are never going to be able to get a perfect universal pattern to follow as everyone's risk tolerance is different.

Another way that can help is to get a letter of reference from your previous family medicine rotation if you have done that already. That way you could potentially have 2 family medicine letters floating around to use (one from elective, one from the rotation).

I am not sure when your electives start etc but at many schools your 6 elective block is pretty darn close to the application due date, and it may be very difficult to actually get a letter of reference out of it.

This thread might be helpful: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81574

Its hilarious they have the same exact title

Archived