Premed 101 Forums

Getting interviews at school you didn't do an elective in...

Hi there,

I know this is program, speciality dependent, but in general, is it rare to get an interview at a school you didn't do an elective in? There are two schools that didn't grant me an elective that I am seriously considering for residency.. I thought I applied early, but I guess not.. :(

A few years ago some former UofT med students did a study. They looked at electives performed and attempted to correlate to eventual match.

The results were surprising to many. It showed that electives performed in speciality X generally correlated with matching into speciality X. However, electives performed in that speciality at a certain location did not correlate with matching to that location.

There were a few exceptions with the most competitive specalities, derm, optho. But even for still very competitive specialities this trend seemed to run true.

Bottomline, it can't hurt to do an elective where you want to match. But it is also not needed for many specialties. However, facetime in the speciality you want is key. So an elective in your speciality of choice should trump location if you must choose an elective between these two factors.

isn't it commonly said that some particular schools/programs will only interview you if you only if you did an elective there? or is that just a myth spread by those who didn't get interviews?

some schools have that rep, and some even really do follow through with it but that is really, really rare overall.

I got accepted into a program that I never did an elective at for radiology.

isn't it commonly said that some particular schools/programs will only interview you if you only if you did an elective there? or is that just a myth spread by those who didn't get interviews?

I think this elective-to-interview correlation has some truth but may not be as strong as one might hope. All but one of my elective schools gave me an interview.

Archived