Premed 101 Forums

Do All Courses Factor in GPA?

Innovo

Hello,

Currently I've enrolled for all my required first year courses.

My Fall term classes are; Bio, Chem, Physics, and English. My Winter term classes are; Bio, Chem, Physics, English, and Calculus.

So I have four courses in my first semester and a five in the second. As I understand five classes is considered a full course load, so I was wondering if I should add another course to my first semester.

Would it be in my best interest to pursue another class during the Fall? Would this additional class of my choosing count towards my GPA while applying to med school? If this is the case would taking an easier class be a wise decision?

I personally am not to fond of the fact that I have a completely empty Tuesday, as I like the fact of knowing there is a schedule to maintain.

Yes it will count and yes, you should add a fifth course for the fall. Taking a year with fewer than ten courses can limit your options later on, so keep all your doors open and take five courses every semester.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I added in a psychology course (Individual and social behaviors) into my Fall semester.

Now have the full 10 courses, and a class on Tuesday.

Good call - you want that full course load :)

(and it is 5 normal courses not just any 5 courses - I mention this as sometimes your run into course worth more or less than normal and that is considered)

You can have 4 classes a semester and still be considered full time if you meet each schools respective credit total to be considered for weighting ie:UofT requires 28 credits a year to be eligible for weighting

Better safe than sorry. Plus if it's something that can potentially help with the GPA I'll take it.

Archived