Premed 101 Forums

Should I bother with a minor?

I am doing an Honors in Immunology. Would getting a minor in biotechnology help in any way?

I only would have to take 3 courses more for it. 1 of which I am interested in, the other two of which are meh.

If this minor is a waste of time I'd probably spend my electives on research or some arts class.

I am doing an Honors in Immunology. Would getting a minor in biotechnology help in any way?

I only would have to take 3 courses more for it. 1 of which I am interested in, the other two of which are meh.

If this minor is a waste of time I'd probably spend my electives on research or some arts class.

Since your proposed minor is so similar to your major (and you have Honours!), it wouldn't add anything.

I've heard that it's pretty much useless. I guess the only place it might help is if you want to graduate and try to get a biotechnology-related job right away (and that too would really depend on the employers you want to target etc.)

Bio tech job, as in..technologist. Also experience and knowledge :). There is no such thing as a "waste of time" especially when it comes to education.

Also, that title was soo misleading lmao.

Lol I'm not going to ask what you thought I meant about the title.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Most likely going to ditch the minor at this point. I asked most graduate schools and even they don't care about having the extra minor in biotech.

Don't take a minor for the sake of taking one. I took mine because I was genuinely interested in the subject. I checked, and taking a minor would allow me to shift some of my required credits from my major to my minor, effectively giving me more freedom to take whatever I wanted from both subjects, so I signed up.

Archived