Premed 101 Forums

Should I Continue

DJCG

Hey guys I've done a bit of searching around the site, but please forgive me if I'm asking anything that has been answered in other threads.

I am going into third year Commerce at Queen's University. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but I got pushed into commerce by my parents. For my electives I've taken first year bio, and by the end of my undergrad I plan on completing first year chem, physics and organic chemistry.

I'm taking these electives because I want to be prepared for when I take my MCAT either this coming year (third year) or at the end of fourth year. I am also taking these to try and fulfill the pre-reqs for the few Med schools that actually require them. I have already taken statistics and English, and I can look into taking biochem based on your replies.

Long story short; I have an abysmal GPA from my first two years of commerce (2.2). I know for a fact I can apply myself, and I am motivated to getting an A+ in every course for my last two years (that's a 4.3 at Queen's). However, even if I do get an A+ in every class I take for the next two years I can only achieve a cumulative GPA of ~3.3. (basically a B+).

Further, I feel I am capable to achieve strong MCAT results if I dedicate enough time to it.

So my basic question for you guys: is it worth it?

Let's say best case scenario I get all A+'s and a strong MCAT, considering my first two years, will any Med schools even look at me?

I know every Med School takes admissions differently, and I hear U of Ottawa does a weighted average of your last three years. However, I'm not a permanent resident of Ontario (I'm originally from Alberta) and I know that plays against me.

Thanks for your time, any response will be greatly appreciated.

The only school in ontario that differentiates btw IP and OOP is mcmaster. You still have a shot at queens (will look at last two years if cgpa isnt high enough) and western (looks at best two years). Both schools require a strong mcat. Info abt admission criteria and gpa weighting can be found on each schools admissions websites

Thanks a bunch everyone, your input has really helped!

Also, do Med Schools look unfavourably on a fifth year?

No they do not! :) You should do that fifth year with 3/5 senior courses as per Western's requirement (senior courses = mix of third and fourth year courses). Also Western distinguishes between a "special year" (which I believe is a year taken as a non-degree student) vs. just delaying your graduation for a year and continuing on as a degree student. Just keep that in mind.

No they do not! :) You should do that fifth year with 3/5 senior courses as per Western's requirement (senior courses = mix of third and fourth year courses). Also Western distinguishes between a "special year" (which I believe is a year taken as a non-degree student) vs. just delaying your graduation for a year and continuing on as a degree student. Just keep that in mind.

good points :) always be very careful with the rules for special years vs continue on etc. You don't want to mess up!

Archived