Premed 101 Forums

plastics at uoft/uofc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Classic plastics answer.

I find that trying to get any information about hypercompetitive fields like plastics, derm and ophthal is like pulling teeth. Everyone is holding their cards so close to their chests.

And there are so few the sample size is pretty small and they can get tired of answering. Phrasing is important as the assumption is that you would take any centre it seems that offers a program in it.

What specifically do you want to know?

• 1 month later...

I can tell you things that I've heard about those programs, but then again everyone's opinions vary. I spent a month at U of T, so I got a small taste of it. In my opinion, the top plastic surgery programs in Canada are (in no specific order): Western, Manitoba, Edmonton. You will get your ass kicked at all three of these places, but you will come out at the end a very well trained surgeon.

I can tell you things that I've heard about those programs, but then again everyone's opinions vary. I spent a month at U of T, so I got a small taste of it. In my opinion, the top plastic surgery programs in Canada are (in no specific order): Western, Manitoba, Edmonton. You will get your ass kicked at all three of these places, but you will come out at the end a very well trained surgeon.

What are you reasons for not considering U of T as one of the top plastic surgery programs in Canada?

• 3 weeks later...
What are you reasons for not considering U of T as one of the top plastic surgery programs in Canada?

They have nine different sites (or something like that). Every site you rotate through, the staff don't really know you and so they don't let you do as much. There are also a ton of fellows, so you don't get to operate as much. The city is great, which makes it desirable. Also, from a research perspective it is fantastic, but in terms of becoming an excellent and competent surgeon, I feel that other programs are much stronger.

All my friends (who attended or currently attends U of T Meds) always tell me that U of T programs are the best in the country and that training sites in London, Hamilton, Kingston, Ottawa and Vancouver etc are incomparable to what U of T has to offer. I guess I should listen to their advice with a truck load of salt. :cool:

All my friends (who attended or currently attends U of T Meds) always tell me that U of T programs are the best in the country and that training sites in London, Hamilton, Kingston, Ottawa and Vancouver etc are incomparable to what U of T has to offer. I guess I should listen to their advice with a truck load of salt. :cool:

Yeah, pretty much.

Like everything in Toronto (medicine, arts, sports, finance etc.), if you ask someone from Toronto in whatever field, they will tell you the world revolves around Toronto.

It's so bad I once had someone from Toronto try to tell me Toronto was like New York, London and Paris all wrapped into one. Seriously.

Yeah, pretty much.

Like everything in Toronto (medicine, arts, sports, finance etc.), if you ask someone from Toronto in whatever field, they will tell you the world revolves around Toronto.

It's so bad I once had someone from Toronto try to tell me Toronto was like New York, London and Paris all wrapped into one. Seriously.

Is this what the patients think as well? I mean many of my family members have received medical care in London and Hamilton and I thought they received top quality care.

Yeah, pretty much.

lol this is the funniest! :D it made my day!

• 7 months later...

I think Toronto tend to attract some personalities while deterring others. It really depends on your priorities. The best advice I could give you is to do an elective at one of their top tier hospitals (Toronto General, Mount Sinai, Princess Margaret, SickKids, Sunnybrook, SMH) and then decide afterwards. Toronto does have one of best (if not the best) clinician-scientist programs, if you're into cutting-edge research and technology. :P

Archived