Premed 101 Forums

I'm pretty nervous, 3 days till MCAT Aug 22

farmin

For finals I'm never nervous. But man I admit right now... I'm nervous. I've even calculated average, median, standard deviation, standard error of the mean, graphed and scatter plotted my AAMC test scores for each section!I haven't calculated confidence intervals yet. Everything's riding on this test. I feel kinda "meh" about whether I will do well or not. I thought I needed to chill out, which is why I'm posting this on the forum, but maybe it's having the opposite effect...

Btw, does anyone else run stats on their scores?

Hey farmin,

I have test anxiety as well. All I can offer you is just simple acknowledgement that no matter what, it's going to be okay. You still have a few days left, and I know it feels as though everything is riding on this exam because it is a high stakes exam. But it's simply one of many you'll have to face.

You can do it :) Do your best, that's all you can ask for! And, if it's anything like my MCAT a few years ago, your best might be more than you thought you even needed to get through this!

Sending out as many positive vibes as I can :)

Best of luck!

For finals I'm never nervous. But man I admit right now... I'm nervous. I've even calculated average, median, standard deviation, standard error of the mean, graphed and scatter plotted my AAMC test scores for each section!I haven't calculated confidence intervals yet. Everything's riding on this test. I feel kinda "meh" about whether I will do well or not. I thought I needed to chill out, which is why I'm posting this on the forum, but maybe it's having the opposite effect...

Just curious, what would you compare your scores to for calculating a confidence interval? :confused:

LOL, I am also writing on August 22nd and as of this week am constantly feeling slightly nauseated. Your post made me want to calculate stats on my own scores, and now I'm like, no, RESIST.

It is hard when we've put so much into this, but hey, there's not too much we can do to change the outcome by this point, so might as well sit back, relax and laissez-faire. I remember my third year genetics prof telling a story of talking to the student who had the highest score on their midterm, and asking them what they did the night before the exam. Their answer? Went to a movie. They were so well prepared that there was no need for cramming, which just leads to poor recall, and can increase anxiety interfering with test performance. This has been my attitude towards exams ever since, and so far it seems to have gone pretty well.

That being said, even after three months of preparing for this exam, I don't know if I'll ever feel that I'm totally ready. The worst is that even after we write, we still have to wait a whole month for the scores...

Just remember that whatever happens, tomorrow is another day, the sun will rise and the Earth will still spin.

Good luck

Does anyone think the real scale is more lenient than the AAMC practice tests? I feel like most people do better than they expected

Probably. Especially for PS. I've noticed that it's pretty common for people to think they bombed PS and then end up doing fine.

I'm also writing tomorrow :) Going to spend the day relaxing. I'm so looking forward to having free time again.

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone think the real scale is more lenient than the AAMC practice tests? I feel like most people do better than they expected

I have this feeling too. A friend of mine and I were discussing after our exam last year, and neither of us thought we'd hit over an 11 on BS that year. We both ended up swinging a 14 :eek:

Seemed good. A lot of people are saying it was really easy though, which is scary cause the curve might be rough :S

It was very straightforward but I wouldn't say it was easy. It tested some obscure material that I can imagine people not covering. I also felt that there were a lot of 'trap' answers so maybe people just fell for them.

The general consensus I've seen is that BS was fine, PS had one difficult passage, and VR was VR, maybe a bit more ambiguous than usual.

Feels really good to be done though!

Archived