Premed 101 Forums

is a 4.0 gpa achievable at UBC or Queen's Life Sciences?

Is a 4.0 GPA achievable at ,Western, Queen's University or UBC or is there bell curving and grade deflation like U of T and McGill?

Thanks!

I know people who have 4.0s after a year at Western 3.9s at Queens after 3 years so definitely possible, but we are talking about maybe the top 2-3% of the class here.

Highly unlikely for UBC, but not impossible. Unless you're the top 1% at UBC Science. (I'm at ~ top 5% and nowhere close to 4.0).

Pre-reqs like english, biol 140, chem 235 for med school have highest grade of less than an A+ (4.0). And just to add in the fact that UBC Science has had the highest entering average from high school in my year for Canada... I only know of one person with a perfect 4.0, but he scored 99%+ for MCAT in his first year as well...

Highly unlikely for UBC, but not impossible. Unless you're the top 1% at UBC Science. (I'm at ~ top 5% and nowhere close to 4.0).

Pre-reqs like english, biol 140, chem 235 for med school have highest grade of less than an A+ (4.0). And just to add in the fact that UBC Science has had the highest entering average from high school in my year for Canada... I only know of one person with a perfect 4.0, but he scored 99%+ for MCAT in his first year as well...

is it Ian Wong?

Wow, that's impressive. Would be interesting to hear his plans for the future.

It's certainly doable to get close to an 4.0. An A is 85, which is a 4.0 in most situations(don't know about Ontario, but it is in the US).

English and bio 140 I agree..but chem 235 was a joke. The final exam was high school level, common sense stuff. Lets leave out entering averages, cause those are all inflated crap haha.

A few of my friends took the mcat after first year as well and got 35+. Timing is kind of irrelevant since the mcat is mostly first year and organic. Sure upper level helps, but not necessary

It's certainly doable to get close to an 4.0. An A is 85, which is a 4.0 in most situations(don't know about Ontario, but it is in the US).

English and bio 140 I agree..but chem 235 was a joke. The final exam was high school level, common sense stuff. Lets leave out entering averages, cause those are all inflated crap haha.

A few of my friends took the mcat after first year as well and got 35+. Timing is kind of irrelevant since the mcat is mostly first year and organic. Sure upper level helps, but not necessary

A is 3.9 at UBC scale. (I thought was the same for Ontario schools was well? Maybe not..)

CHEM 235 is easy to do well but also VERY difficult to achieve A+ grade. Statistics from last year: 12 out of 1186 achieved A+. That is around 1% of science students right there.

BIOL 200 had 32/1167 achieve A+.

ENGL 110/112 dont even have the highest grade of 85 in a lot of the classes (it was the case in mine)

BIOL 140 had just 1 out of 622 students achieve A+

All of these courses are pre-req for med school. Its doable to get close to 4.0, just very hard to get perfect 4.0 (which I thought was what the OP was asking)

A is 3.9 at UBC scale. (I thought was the same for Ontario schools was well? Maybe not..)

CHEM 235 is easy to do well but also VERY difficult to achieve A+ grade. Statistics from last year: 12 out of 1186 achieved A+. That is around 1% of science students right there.

BIOL 200 had 32/1167 achieve A+.

ENGL 110/112 dont even have the highest grade of 85 in a lot of the classes (it was the case in mine)

BIOL 140 had just 1 out of 622 students achieve A+

All of these courses are pre-req for med school. Its doable to get close to 4.0, just very hard to get perfect 4.0 (which I thought was what the OP was asking)

Really interesting to hear those stats; I'm especially surprised by ENGL being so low. As for grading scales it differs quite a bit for schools in Ontario: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Really interesting to hear those stats; I'm especially surprised by ENGL being so low. As for grading scales it differs quite a bit for schools in Ontario: http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

Right, but we are talking about how hard it is to get 4.0 at UBC. So if I was applying for OMSAS, I would have to use the scale 7 since my grades were 'FROM' UBC, A would only count as a 3.9.

So to OP's question, to achieve a perfect 4.0 at UBC, you would need minimum of A+ (or 90%) in every one of your classes (or close enough to round off to 4.0).

But I'm sure that getting a perfect 4.0 is unbelievably difficult at any of the schools OP listed...

Just to add on though, most ENGL 110/112 courses at UBC have the averages around B (73-75%). My girlfriend just took ENGL during summer and the class average was 75% while the highest grade was 80% (wtf?).

They just don't give out very high grades for some courses. Now this isn't to say that all UBC courses are like that (MICB 202: Immunology/bacterial disease course) has something 50%+ of the class achieving A+...

Archived