Premed 101 Forums

Clarification on level of courses

Hi I was wondering if anyone could clarify this for me.

In my fourth year i took 3/5 3rd & 4th year courses, however in my 5th year for the 3/5 courses they were all 3rd year. I took no 4th year courses. Is that okay ? or did the 3/5 courses need to be a mix of 3rd & 4th year level?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have another question pertaining to this topic. :(

If you only have 5 of the 6 "senior-level" courses in one of your two years, does that instantly disqualify you from applying?

Next semester I have to take the following four courses (prerequisites for Fall 2014):

• Human Physiology II + Lab (3rd year)
  • Embryology + Lab (4th year)
  • Organic Chemistry II + Lab (2nd year)
  • General Biochemistry + Lab (2nd year)
  • OPEN (Option, elective, etc)

I do have room to fit in one more course, but I'm afraid that another 3rd/4th year-level course will overwhelm my schedule.. But I really want to qualify for Western, so whatever needs to be done..

I have another question pertaining to this topic. :(

If you only have 5 of the 6 "senior-level" courses in one of your two years, does that instantly disqualify you from applying?

Next semester I have to take the following four courses (prerequisites for Fall 2014):

• Human Physiology II + Lab (3rd year)
  • Embryology + Lab (4th year)
  • Organic Chemistry II + Lab (2nd year)
  • General Biochemistry + Lab (2nd year)
  • OPEN (Option, elective, etc)

I do have room to fit in one more course, but I'm afraid that another 3rd/4th year-level course will overwhelm my schedule.. But I really want to qualify for Western, so whatever needs to be done..

You are not disqualified from applying, you just can't use that year as one of the "two best" years they look at when calculating your GPA. This happens to a lot of people and it doesn't count against you so long as you get 2 years over the GPA cutoff. Also note you can use your current year as well .

You are not disqualified from applying, you just can't use that year as one of the "two best" years they look at when calculating your GPA. This happens to a lot of people and it doesn't count against you so long as you get 2 years over the GPA cutoff. Also note you can use your current year as well .

This is definitely one of the years I have to use, so I guess I'll squeeze in a senior-level neuroscience course or something to make sure it counts. Thank you. :)

Out of curiosity though, what do you mean by they will consider your current year? Does that mean they'll accept your final/current year having 30 credits (18 credits senior-level) to meet the cutoff, or that they'll use your current year GPA in their best two years calculation? The latter would be awesome, but I doubt that's the case..

This is definitely one of the years I have to use, so I guess I'll squeeze in a senior-level neuroscience course or something to make sure it counts. Thank you. :)

Out of curiosity though, what do you mean by they will consider your current year? Does that mean they'll accept your final/current year having 30 credits (18 credits senior-level) to meet the cutoff, or that they'll use your current year GPA in their best two years calculation? The latter would be awesome, but I doubt that's the case..

They'll look at all the years that satisfy the criteria and take the 2 with the highest GPA's. If you only have one such year, but you're still in school, you can use your current year that will unfold in parallel to your application.

So you apply in September of 4th (some people 5th) year while taking a proper courseload. We'll say you only have one year that satisfies the interview criteria. They'll use that year and if your interview goes well you'll get a conditional acceptance. In May when acceptances come out they'll want to see that the 4th year you just completed satisfies the GPA and course level requirement cutoffs. If it does then you've satisfied the conditions of the conditional acceptance and you're in. If not then you're out.

They'll look at all the years that satisfy the criteria and take the 2 with the highest GPA's. If you only have one such year, but you're still in school, you can use your current year that will unfold in parallel to your application.

So you apply in September of 4th (some people 5th) year while taking a proper courseload. We'll say you only have one year that satisfies the interview criteria. They'll use that year and if your interview goes well you'll get a conditional acceptance. In May when acceptances come out they'll want to see that the 4th year you just completed satisfies the GPA and course level requirement cutoffs. If it does then you've satisfied the conditions of the conditional acceptance and you're in. If not then you're out.

Oh, that's really interesting. Thank you very much for sharing.

This year 2013/2014 and next year 2014/2015 are going to be the only years I have a full-course load, so it'd be great if I could apply next cycle instead of having to wait until after I graduated. Hey, thanks again, that's really exciting news!

Oh, that's really interesting. Thank you very much for sharing.

This year 2013/2014 and next year 2014/2015 are going to be the only years I have a full-course load, so it'd be great if I could apply next cycle instead of having to wait until after I graduated. Hey, thanks again, that's really exciting news!

NP good luck. If you plan on using this year and next year, make sure they both satisfy the requirement of having 6/10 credit hours at your year level or higher. If you take a lower level course in that open slot you won't be able to use this year.

NP good luck. If you plan on using this year and next year, make sure they both satisfy the requirement of having 6/10 credit hours at your year level or higher. If you take a lower level course in that open slot you won't be able to use this year.

Yes, I managed to figure it out for Winter 2014, so I have 3/5 senior-level courses this semester and will have 3/5 senior-level next semester as well. So, it should be all good this year (assuming I get above a 3.7). I'll only have 4th year courses and two honours thesis courses for next year (2014/2015), so no problem meeting the minimum there.

Yes, I managed to figure it out for Winter 2014, so I have 3/5 senior-level courses this semester and will have 3/5 senior-level next semester as well. So, it should be all good this year (assuming I get above a 3.7). I'll only have 4th year courses and two honours thesis courses for next year (2014/2015), so no problem meeting the minimum there.

Sounds good! Aim high on the GPA side - it is possible that it is still used as a factor in the final scoring.

Archived