Premed 101 Forums

'Nother aspiring doc needs help from the wise

Guest Arcados

Guest Arcados

Hi everyone! This is my first post to the board, after reading quite a bit that interested me. You can tell this is a noobie post, because I'm about to ask (most probably) cliche'd questions, one's you probably don't feel like answering. If you could spare an opinion, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm a grade 11 student at an Ontario high-school, with a reasonably strong writing ability and a not-so-reasonably strong mathematic ability. I'm fairly sure I want to be a doctor, but I'm not sure what programs I should apply to that would a)prepare me for the MCAT and med-school and B) (most importantly) give me a fair shot of actually being accepted into med-school.

I know you guys aren't psychic, but I've been reading "there is no optimal preparation for med-school" ad nauseum from various med-school admission sites, and I need a bit more than that to go on.

I was thinking about majoring in Biology, which is one of my favourite subjects and contains little to no math (bonus). Also considering Psychology, which I find very interesting as well.

The problem with both of these is that Psych and Bio majors (as I understand it) are a dime a dozen.

SO - after this long, long post ( I apologize) what is a decent area to major in that will prepare my for med-school?

Guest physiology

In high school, what type of biology do you like?

Human biology/physiology? Do you like how drugs work in the body (pharmacology?) or do you like evolution? Genetics?

I mean it's up to you. Pick something that you like, and you will most likely do well in it, given that you put in the time.

That said, some majors will make life easier in med school for you. For instance, pharmacology and physiology will simplify studying once you get into med school.

I've had UBC med students tell me they took more of these courses (particularly pharmacology).

Wait until you get into first year bio and start talking to students of different programs.

Then you'll get a better idea.

Hope that helps.

Guest Arcados

All of the above sound interesting - I'm just trying to figure out what I'll succeed at, and also what will give me a good shot at getting into medschool. Pharmacology sounds interesting - but does it involve alot of math (I know, it's sad that I'm going into a science program and detest math, but I have to live with my weaknesses).

I guess I should ask...

What are people on this board taking/have taken, and what are their experiences with admission into med-school?

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums. :) In the future, please post your question only once, and in the single most appropriate forum. Asking the same question in multiple forums makes things very disorganized once people start replying to your questions, not to mention exponentially increasing the potential "clutter" in each forum.

For that reason, I'm closing this thread, and redirecting future replies to the current identical thread in the General Premed forum.

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm34.showMessage?topicID=880.topic

Thanks!

Ian

Archived