Premed 101 Forums

Med application for NOSM

Good day! I found a book called "The Making of Northern Ontario School of Medicine" an insightful read. It reviews how NOSM became NOSM (and not NOMS :P ), admissions, curriculum, and some other interesting facts about medicine in Northern Ontario. Even though it's a few years old, you may want to review a few chapters. Where do you live? I found a copy at the Waverly Public Library in Thunder Bay.

Also, I find the NOSM site is great. Not only is there a lot of info, but you can review old webcasts from the admission information sessions that took place this summer. At nosm.ca you can find the link to webcasts in the right hand column. Select "Live and Archived Webcasts" and launch the program to access the videos. Review the admissions criteria and consider that those who are Francophone, Aboriginal, and are from Northern Ontario or a rural community have a slight advantage. Generally, as an applicant, you must want to work in Northern Ontario or in rural/remote communities. The webcasts, website, and book do cover this information, if you are curious.

Best of luck! ♫

I honestly don't see NOSM's mission statement or what they are looking for as a big unknown (like Queen's criteria haha). They want someone from the North and who wants to be in the North for the long haul, with all of the related experiences that one gets by living/growing up in Northern Ontario.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not from the North but I grew up in a rural community in another country. I would truly like to return to living in a rural environment and contribute to helping people who face challenges in accessing quality healthcare. I am hoping to convince NOSM with my experience of living in a rural community even though it was not in Canada. In addition, I do have a wide range of extra-curricular and volunteering activities from a young age. The downside is that my GPA is not competitive (3.38). Do you think it is still worth applying?

I am not from the North but I grew up in a rural community in another country. I would truly like to return to living in a rural environment and contribute to helping people who face challenges in accessing quality healthcare. I am hoping to convince NOSM with my experience of living in a rural community even though it was not in Canada. In addition, I do have a wide range of extra-curricular and volunteering activities from a young age. The downside is that my GPA is not competitive (3.38). Do you think it is still worth applying?

It depends, but you would be fighting an uphill battle. In order to have any chance of an interview, your rural experience outside of Canada would have to count and you would need to basically score 10/10 on that portion. For arguments sake, if on average you need around 21-22/30 to score an interview (roughly 7/10 on the 3 sections; gpa, sketch and context score) and you have ~3.8/10 for gpa, lets say 7/10 for your sketch, even 10/10 for context score may not be enough. And even if you land an interview, you would basically have to nail it to have any chance of a seat. Since NOSM recently cut the amount of people they invite to interview, the gpa needed to get an interview likely also went up. To increase your chances, a Masters, or second undergrad would help your cause.

Archived