Premed 101 Forums

Faire le TFI avant demande d'admission? Taking the TFI before applying?

alex1992

I'm a quebec resident who was raised in the very anglophone west island! I need to pass the TFI with an ~85 to be considered at the three french medical schools (UdeM, Sherbrooke, Laval). I think my french is good enough, but I really have no idea how well I would do on the TFI. I was thinking about maybe taking the test this month and seeing how well I did, before I even apply to the schools. Applications for them are due Jan/Feb, and I believe you need to take the test after applying.

Basically I want to know if I were to write it, and if I did get the score I need, would my score would count when I do apply, or if I would I need to write it again through the university I'm applying to? Thanks!

--

Je suis une Québecoise qui a toujours étudié en anglais. J'ai donc besoin un 85 sur le TFI pour être considéré a Laval, UdeM et Sherbrooke. Je veux écrire le TFI maintenant pour savoir si je suis proche a la note que j'ai besoin et je me demande - si ma note est 85 lorsque je l'ecris - si je peux utiliser cette note quand je fait ma demande d'admission en Janvier/Fevrier. Si non, est-ce qu'il faudra re-écrire le TFI a l'université dont j'applique? Merci!

i would highly recommend taking the exam on your own time and not with the 2 days notice that UdeM gives you. It will definitely count. When you get the summons from UdeM to write the test, just bring the certificate that you'll receive with your score (>86% hopefully) to whatever office is listed on the summons sheet. That's how I did it, way less stressful.

As I understand it, it is about correct grammer.

I go to a French speaking school but was exempt. My French was really bad when I started but it has dramatically improved.

It might be worthwhile to take the test and this way, if you don't make it on your first attempt, you will k ow what you have to do. Good luck. :)

For Sherby, I believe you don't need the test, but will have to pass an undergrad French course in first year medicine.

I suggest you take the TFI on your own ahead of time. At least you can get a feel of how the exam is set up. UdeM and ULaval only look at your latest valid TFI score (iirc) if you have taken the TFI before their scheduled TFI appointment. Also you can re-take the test as many times as you want, and your scores are valid for one year.

Archived