Premed 101 Forums

2014 Mcat

Futur3

I will be writing my MCAT in the summer of 2014 (I would have just finished second year).

This will be the last summer to write this version of the MCAT.

My question is, should I write early July, and wait until August to get my results, then register to write again in September if need be. This provides me 2 attempts, instead of the 1. The issue is, what if May - July (2-2.25 months) isn't enough to do well?

Or, should I study from May - August, (3-3.25 months) and write near mid to end of August. This will only give me 1 attempt at this MCAT, but I think I would be more prepared than the first option.

Opinions?

Thanks

I always say write early enough to write it again - assume you will have to write it again. deadlines are powerful study motivators as well, and the mcat has some luck involved in it. You need a bit of protection from that in the form of a chance of doing it again.

Second this. You're MCAT performance, particularly on the verbal, is half determined by your situation on the test day (feeling lazy, sleepy, disoriented etc). With that, even if you have knowledge you may not be in the mental state to use it. If you dont want to risk waiting another year before applying, assuming your only attempt isn't good enough, then its better to plan for two attempts

A point worth considering: you may want to book your second seat as soon as you've written your first, not after your score comes back. Seats fill up very early, particularly around that time, so if you can risk the half of the fee you'll lose if you need to cancel, I'd recommend booking as soon as you are done the first one so you don't risk being unable to write a second time if needed.

A point worth considering: you may want to book your second seat as soon as you've written your first, not after your score comes back. Seats fill up very early, particularly around that time, so if you can risk the half of the fee you'll lose if you need to cancel, I'd recommend booking as soon as you are done the first one so you don't risk being unable to write a second time if needed.

Definitely - I had to book for a US spot actually to have a backup time as Canada always fills up fast - a possibility in the worse case :)

Oh, I didn't know we can do that. I definitely will then. Thanks for the heads up!

I wouldn't mind writing anywhere around Western if it's filled here. If it comes to that, I'll look into Toronto (probably worse than London), Windsor, Buffalo, Michigan, Sarnia, etc.

If I write in the US, would the exam change, and/or policies, etc?

no the test is universal - that is the entire point actually :)

Oh, I didn't know we can do that. I definitely will then. Thanks for the heads up!

I knew about it only by reading this forum. I booked in March for early August. In the two days it took me to decide to book, many dates filled up (for Halifax!) You can't hold two registrations at once, so be aware you may have to check multiple times just to find a seat for August if you're booking only 4-6 weeks before the test date.

I'll probably write in the second week of July which gives me about 4-6 weeks prior to the end of summer. Worst case scenario, I will write my MCAT out of my area, or in September.

Thanks for your help Birdy. :)

Good study to you!

I just wrote my first (hopefully last) MCAT on the 12th of Sept. I would advise against going that late if you can help it as application deadlines can be an issue. The one I'm thinking about is Calgary since the adcom recently mentioned that they may consider denying applications to those who write in September next year.

Good study to you!

I just wrote my first (hopefully last) MCAT on the 12th of Sept. I would advise against going that late if you can help it as application deadlines can be an issue. The one I'm thinking about is Calgary since the adcom recently mentioned that they may consider denying applications to those who write in September next year.

That's interesting - did they give a reason for considering that?

That's interesting - did they give a reason for considering that?

Well, their original application deadline was October 1st, which should serve to give context to this UCalgary med admissions blog post:

"In recognition of the fact that people who wrote the MCAT in September will not have their results available to them by Oct 1st (and for many non-Albertans will therefore not even know if they are eligible to apply), we have decided to extend our application deadline to Oct 15th. In future years, we may simply not accept the September writing of the MCAT, but for now. changing the deadline made more sense.

All applicants should get an email to this effect soon."

For what its worth my school ended April 29. I wrote July 13 for the first time while working full time 5 days a week plus studying. I got 33 (11vr/12b/10ps) and I wish I would have wrote at the end of June. The last few weeks weren't great for studying and the wait for the mark sucks. I would not have had anything left in me to write again in August either.

I wrote in the U.S. and there is nothing extra needed except a passport to get into the country. Exam is the same.

I'm planning to take it early august right before leaving to study abroad. I'll start studying late may (since i'll be travelling in may) so hopefully 2 and a half month will be enough because if i screw up, i will have to start studying again in summer 2015 and i will not be able to apply during 3rd year.

This thing is scary. :eek:

This thing is scary. :eek:

It's only scary if you make it so. The actual test is pretty simple and intuitive. I just used the EK books and barely touched any of the "1001 questions" ones. The only part that tough to deal with mentally, I think, is trying to boost your VR score since multiple practice tests start to plateau you at a kind of "natural score" or carrying capacity. :D

Archived