Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Highschool question

Hi,

This may be a strange question, but any suggestions on what to enter for NOSM on the question: Specify the secondary school from which you graduated.

I didn't graduate from highschool. However, I did complete my GED during my 3rd year of university. Should I just enter info for the ILC (Independent Learning Centre) who administers the GED exam?

Thanks.

Best to call NOSM on this one. Likely you would enter the high school you attended (even if not graduated) as I believe they use this in their context calculation. But again no use risking choosing the wrong one to input so call them on this one.

Beef

Hi,

This may be a strange question, but any suggestions on what to enter for NOSM on the question: Specify the secondary school from which you graduated.

I didn't graduate from highschool. However, I did complete my GED during my 3rd year of university. Should I just enter info for the ILC (Independent Learning Centre) who administers the GED exam?

Thanks.

Best to call NOSM on this one. Likely you would enter the high school you attended (even if not graduated) as I believe they use this in their context calculation. But again no use risking choosing the wrong one to input so call them on this one.

Beef

I agree. Make sure you get all the potential context points you can. Call or email NOSM.

I imagine that scores for most people are pretty bunched up ie; ABS

Context i would imagine has two distinct sections, Northerners/rural and Not

As long as you have a solid context score for the rest of you childhood I don't see it hurting you THAT much.

I see the context score as more of a how long/where have you lived, are you likely to head south the first chance you get score.

Ie: In my case i was born and raised in one Northern Ontario town. It is my home but come time to chose where I wanted to do my UG I chose a city as I wanted to experience all that it had to offer. I have since come to realize that it isn't for me, i love where I grew up, I love that I played hockey in every town in Northern Ontario and North Western Quebec with an arena ( I know North Eastern Ontario like the back of my hand). This is where I want to be. This passion for the north should shine through in your essays (there's one question that asks you directly why NOSM). I don't think they can fault someone for taking an opportunity in Southern Ontario that isn't offered in the North. ( I guess I could say the same thing about going South to Sudbury to attend NOSM but that's just me haha)

All that to say that your context score may suffer but if you truly have a passion for the North then i think it will be made up for in your essays.

ps. It's hard to type trying while trying not to give away too much information about myself. Mind you I'm sure you could piece it together if we were to meet at an interview.

Archived