Premed 101 Forums

wait for 2015 ?

Alexaa.

I know most people actually want to take the mcat as soon as possible to avoid the 2015 one but i was thinking that maybe i should actually wait for it but i'm not sure if it make sense or if it's just stupid.

Okay so basically, if i take it this coming summer i will have taken 1 year of Bio, 1 semester of Microbio, 1 year of Chem, 1 semester of Human Physiology. which mean i will have to teach myself physics & orgo.

However, if i do wait, i will take next year: 1 semester of orgo, maybe 1 semester of biochem, 1 semester of physic (online/mechanic).

i know the 2015 mcat will include psych (i did 1 year of general psych + 1 semester of biopsych), i may be able to do a semester of sociology and i'm taking a research methods/stats class this semester. (i may take research methods 2 next semester too). And i think that maybe it would be worth it to wait as i'm pretty good with social science so maybe it could boost my score if i do well on that section?

Now, if i wait until 2015, I won't be able to apply as a 3rd year. But i don't know if it is worth it? like, if i get a good mcat this summer, this is great, but if i screw up, then i will have to "loose" another summer studying in 2015. However, if i don't try to apply as 3rd, this means that i will have to do a 4th year for sure ( = more money) which i could maybe save if i do get in after 3rd year even if it does not happen that often.

Okay, this post is a mess, i'm sorry i'm tired haha Hope you guys can understand what i'm trying to say!

Thanks anyway! :)

I wouldn't take the risk. You have nothing to lose next summer except a "wasted summer". It is the price to pay...

the OP was tired :)

a wasted summer means a summer not spent on other ECs. There is always another cost to consider. I guess the question is simply what else would you do with that summer and would it result in a net increase in your chances over learning material you will learn in 2nd year? Would the prep help you GPA in 2nd year as an added bonus?

"However, if i don't try to apply as 3rd, this means that i will have to do a 4th year for sure ( = more money) which i could maybe save if i do get in after 3rd year even if it does not happen that often. "

My advise is be prepared to do a 4th year no matter what. Unless you got close to a perfect GPA, killer MCAT scores, and AMAZING EC's that people will drool over... don't expect to get in during 3rd year. Nearly all 3rd year students apply as a trial round which is perfectly normal. And most people do endup rewriting the MCAT.... my advice would be to write the exam when you are prepared for it. Never rush to make a decision especially for a test like this. If you screw up on this one, it's going to be hard to redeam yourself since the scales will be different. In addition the 2015 exam most people won't do well and if you're intelligent you should be able to score fairly well.

• 3 weeks later...

thank for the answer guys. :)

after reflection, i will probably take it this summer and hope for the best and if i don't do well, then i will try again next year.

i was planning mostly to work next summer (+ other ECs) as money is a little tight but i'm going abroad fall semester next year and living cost will be so much cheaper that i can afford a summer off.

I mentioned it somewhere else but I taught myself orgo and managed an 11 in BS which is decent especially since my BS section was about 50% orgo. I also neglected it until the very end so if you spread out your studying you should be fine.

i will be honest, 11 in BS would make me more than happy!

which books/resources did you use ?

I mentioned it somewhere else but I taught myself orgo and managed an 11 in BS which is decent especially since my BS section was about 50% orgo. I also neglected it until the very end so if you spread out your studying you should be fine.

i will be honest, 11 in BS would make me more than happy!

which books/resources did you use ?

I did the same thing as Sarvish and managed a 10 (also had like 40-50% orgo on my section, very unlucky). So it's totally possible to self-teach yourself and manage a decent score. Personally I used the Kaplan book/course. Good luck!

Archived