Premed 101 Forums

Graduate application package

wanka_vision - you cannot update your CV after you send it in. in previous years you could, but this year they changed it.

I just want to confirm that the CV and 1 extra grad letter from supervisor are the ONLY extra documents that graduate students are required to submit. Am I missing something?

Thank you

wanka_vision - you cannot update your CV after you send it in. in previous years you could, but this year they changed it.

I just want to confirm that the CV and 1 extra grad letter from supervisor are the ONLY extra documents that graduate students are required to submit. Am I missing something?

Thank you

Yes, that is all needed

I have one activity that I was hoping somebody could help me place. I am out of university now and I am currently working as a clinical research assistant. I actually just started this job this week, so I'm excited to put it on my CV. Do you think this activity better fits under "research experience" or "teaching experience during university and employment after university". Or do you think I could put it under both headings? Thanks for any input!

I have one activity that I was hoping somebody could help me place. I am out of university now and I am currently working as a clinical research assistant. I actually just started this job this week, so I'm excited to put it on my CV. Do you think this activity better fits under "research experience" or "teaching experience during university and employment after university". Or do you think I could put it under both headings? Thanks for any input!

I guess it is most appropriate to put it under "research experience". I wouldn't recommend putting it under both, unless you have two separate roles where one is mainly research, and the other is non-research.

Further to this question, where it says "teaching experience during university and employment after university" does this mean we list any and all employment we've had since graduation?

Also in terms of awards/honours, etc, are people putting the actual monetary amount of how much they were awarded, like for an admission scholarship for example?

Hey guys - I just wanted to confirm the difference between these two headings:

(1) Honours, Scholarships and Awards during University:

(2) Research –specific Honours, Scholarships and Awards during University:

(list with a brief description)

Does (1) simply refer to any general awards received during university (e.g. Dean's Honour Roll, TA awards), and (2) refers only to awards that are directly related to research (e.g. OGS, CIHR, poster awards?).

Thanks so much for your help!

max_33 I listed the value of my awards if they were monetary awards.

Can_Dodge - yes I think that is appropriate. I am listing it like this as well. I won't be repeating awards in the two sections though.

Personal aside note: I don't really agree with the headings that UofT selected this year. They don't seem like they encompass everything "academic" ... Unfortunately I think that my CV will be worse quality this year due to things I am leaving out that don't fit under any specified category (kind of frustrating). ex - I did human cadaver dissections, participated in grant writing workshops etc... normally i'd put that under professional development but alas, there are no appropriate sections for these things

Is anyone else experiencing the same dilemma? Are you leaving these activities out or are you placing them in categories that they don't quite fit into...like "research experience" for example?

Furthermore, how extensively are you guys discussing each item on your cv? ie how many sentences to describe for example, a research experience? For example, did you just list "Master's thesis research" or "Master's thesis research + bullet points explaining techniques you know and what your project was about etc..."

I agree about the headings issue - I am finding there are important things that I don't see fitting anywhere with the given headings. For example, I supervised master's research projects and not sure that that goes under anything?

As for the research experience descriptions, I think a couple of bullet points would be OK for each? What the research was and techniques you learned?

i dont think so floweriepot. a practicum is like a placement that's part of your program - for example a teaching placement at a high school if you're in teacher's college. I don't know where you would put workshops, grad training etc.

are people leaving out workshops, grad training/modules, symposiums that you attended but did not present?? What is everyone else doing? if you're including these things, where did you place them?

I don't think you are expected to fill out every single category. All programs are different. Most grad schools do not have practicums because you are not completing a professional degree.

I am not including those things. The CV is judge research productivity and so I think workshops seem more like a course to me and I did not include anything like that.

hey Gizmo - yes include both undergrad and grad. to me the cv would seem incomplete otherwise.

floweriepot - I would just list the citation for your publication (ie I wouldn't include your role...too wordy IMO)

do you think it would be ok to tweak a heading somewhat? instead of publications, presentations, and abstracts, do you think we could change the order and make it publications, abstracts, and presentations? that order just flows better on my CV. and do you think they want us to list all abstracts (ie just published in conference proceedings) or just published abstracts (ie in journals)?

Archived