Premed 101 Forums

Liberal Arts student wanting a second life choice in health studies

Hello everyone,

I am in my last year of my humanities program, but I need education that will expand my horizons. I have worked in a law firm for 4 years and wanted to pursue a law education. However, realizing how saturated and lucrative the law profession is, is a bit discouraging. I do not want to come out of school with over $100k debt. I only heard of the PA program recently. I have always been interested in fitness and health. Ever since my accident that left me bedridden for a couple of months and semi-running in 12 months, I have been heavily exposed to the health care system and made me realized how much I care about my own health and the health of others.

Of course, I have reviewed McMaster and UofT's PA programs and I do not have any of their requirements except for my GPA (3.3-5; it would be unlikely for me to obtain a 3.8).

Two Scenarios:

1. Would it be wise to go to college for a diploma in health studies such as OTA/PTA or Paramedic or PSW? Then gain the necessary health care professional experience required by UofT?

2. Or would it be better to admit myself back into university for some health studies such as Kinesiology or health studies? I never took Biology or chemistry (U) in grade 11-12. I am 23 years old. Would my high school credentials affect my application to McMaster's health studies/kinesiology? I am not too keen on spending 4 more years in university as I have spent 5 years in liberal arts (due to accident and I had to work before then).

I would need to take a program that would help satisfy the human anatomy, human physiology, and chemistry courses and plus some more.

Would I be able to apply for the kinesiology or health studies program as a mature student?

-------------------

Sounds like if I were to undergo another degree, that's probably another $30k on top of whatever I have now. This is a huge setback for me as a woman.

Should I just give up and do whatever I can grab my hands on after graduating from BA program!? I'm very discouraged. Please help me find the light.

I am interested in pursuing to have a family before I'm 33. As an educated woman, I do not want to give up my education and career nor my future family, and I don't want to put myself into the position of a "employment gap" where I would have a large missing gap between a profession.

I want to try my best.

Please advise.

Gwen

Get your grade 12 biology and 12 chemistry.

Adult highschool.

Then you can apply to a (BA) biology and go from there. Or get your 12 math and do a b.sc.

I wouldn't bother with a health science degree, if you're interested in kinesiology.. go for human kinetics. Or consider going to master studies from your humanity degree and just finish the prerequisites.

I don't think medicine is a good idea if you want to have a family. There are a ton of great masters level courses that would be great fit employment. Genetic counseling for instance. Your humanity degree would be fantastic for this career.

Archived