Premed 101 Forums

How competitive is emerg and how do we start early?

In the true premed101 fashion, a lot of pessimism!

Carms stats typically overestimate, yes you read that right, the competitiveness of a speciality. A lot of people who rank it number one might not be so serious about it, or may have restricted their rank list because of geographical locationa, or ranked other specialties after it. So the total number of applicants who ranked it 1st and the number matches is a worst case scenario. Doesn't take into account how many programs you ranked and how many you interviewed at.

With that said, it's still quite competitive. Set up your electives in ER, try to do some research, and be positive!

In the true premed101 fashion, a lot of pessimism!

Carms stats typically overestimate, yes you read that right, the competitiveness of a speciality. A lot of people who rank it number one might not be so serious about it, or may have restricted their rank list because of geographical locationa, or ranked other specialties after it. So the total number of applicants who ranked it 1st and the number matches is a worst case scenario. Doesn't take into account how many programs you ranked and how many you interviewed at.

With that said, it's still quite competitive. Set up your electives in ER, try to do some research, and be positive!

The following is my own real life perspective on competitiveness.

During CaRMS there will be a core group of 50-60ish ppl who will be interviewing for most programs. You will probably know some of these people from doing EM electives. By the time interviews are done you will really know each other as you tour Canada together. This group will make up the core group of competitive people. Almost all of these guys will land an EM spot. You want to be one of these guys. Later on as a resident during the yearly Canadian EM conference you will have your unofficial "reunion" with this group. It's fun times.

Do mostly EM electives, get some academic work under your belt, it does not need to be EM specific. Show effort throughout med school of being interested in EM. Attend EM journal clubs or academic events and network. Participate in your med school EM interest group. Finally, and most importantly, be cool to spend time with and work hard. If you do these things chances are you will be in that core group and land a spot if you are location flexible.

Don't apply to EM with a strong geographic preference, that's a great way to be disappointed. Apply broadly always if you can. The competitive people want EM. It is their first choice. They have done a ton of EM electives. People don't generally back up with EM. I think you are probably wasting your time and money if you are backing up to this specialty. There will be the rare exception but it is pretty darn rare. Most EM applicants are probably backing up with FM looking to try round two.

As an added bonus for interested clerks... If you want some light reading around EM to get your knowledge base up early I suggest the free ABC's of EM text located at: http://www.emergencymedicine.utoronto.ca/Education/Undergraduate_Education/The_ABCs_of_Emergency_Medicine__Course_Manual_.htm This text might be a touch advanced for preclerks, but it can't hurt to get a sense of what you will learn in the near future.

Do you mean electives in preclerkship or clerkship?

I've already set-up 2 possible electives in preclerkship but don't really know where to go from here. I'm doing an international elective this summer and have the option of doing ER there as well.

Apart from the basics (work hard/don't be an idiot) anything else a preclerk can do? I know we can do clerkship electives at other universities, but can we do this as preclerks?

I find that we just don't get enough info about this. All the emerg docs that I've talked to did the 2 yr GP + 1 yr emerg and work in an urban setting but admit that these days thats just not possible. They simply don't know what we need to get to ER these days and we don't have access to ER residents to ask them!

Meh, preclerkship is just a time to explore IMO. If you want to explore EM as a preclerk join your school's EM interest group. That can be a great way to meet some residents and staff. You might find some shadowing chances through this means. If you have a chance of doing some academic work like research it can't hurt. Personally, I traveled and did research at the same time between first and second year. I highly recommend this set up. ;)

The trick is to have two or three specialties in your mind when you start clerkship and quickly narrow things down. The real game starts during clerkship.

Archived