Premed 101 Forums

Does extracurricular matter with high GPA

A high GPA by itself will not get you into med school, will likely not even get you an interview. Adcoms are looking for active citizenship. Applicants with such grades are routinely rejected. A candidate with a lower GPA who is well rounded is a better an more competitive applicant. This is especially true for U/O.

• 2 weeks later...
Although GPA is second most important next to the interview score, EC activities are very important and needed to get an interview, as well as so you have something to talk about during the interview...

"so what have you done for your community?"....(crickets)

plus you won't even get the interview in the first place without them

pretty sure the out of ottawa cutoff if you live in ontario was 3.85 and out of province was 3.87, but somebody can correct me if I am wrong. I think it is fair to say that ECs definitely do play a role at Ottawa to get an interview. However, based on the high gpa statistics, I would say that if you have a very high weighted gpa (3.97+) that perhaps they may be a bit more forgiving if your ECs are not as "spectacular" ...but that is just my opinion.

pretty sure the out of ottawa cutoff if you live in ontario was 3.85 and out of province was 3.87, but somebody can correct me if I am wrong. I think it is fair to say that ECs definitely do play a role at Ottawa to get an interview. However, based on the high gpa statistics, I would say that if you have a very high weighted gpa (3.97+) that perhaps they may be a bit more forgiving if your ECs are not as "spectacular" ...but that is just my opinion.

I don't think it makes a difference, because Ottawa functions on a cut-off system. They have multiple steps in their ranking of applicants. First, you need to meet the cut-off GPA - last year for IP students this was 3.85 (I emailed the admissions office and asked). After that, the students that make the cutoff have their extracurriculars evaluated, and those that are in the top X% are invited for an interview. So, it really does not matter at all whether you have a 3.86 GPA (and are above the cut-off) or a 4.00 GPA, since the GPA is not really used after the cutoff has been met. This is what I interpreted from their website, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't think it makes a difference, because Ottawa functions on a cut-off system. They have multiple steps in their ranking of applicants. First, you need to meet the cut-off GPA - last year for IP students this was 3.85 (I emailed the admissions office and asked). After that, the students that make the cutoff have their extracurriculars evaluated, and those that are in the top X% are invited for an interview. So, it really does not matter at all whether you have a 3.86 GPA (and are above the cut-off) or a 4.00 GPA, since the GPA is not really used after the cutoff has been met. This is what I interpreted from their website, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

PM101's opinion seems to be very different. Take a look at the Invite/regrets thread. they definitely seem to be more lenient to those who have very high wGPA's.

this is correct. in the rejection email they tell you you met academics but not the ECs. it's probably selection bias: people with high GPAs will never hesitate to post them here

@goingplaid:

"Simply put. 1500 people met the academic cut off last year. 500 were interviewed"

Where was this stat found?

Our intro week

I think the wGPA for OOP last year was 3.89 + (might have been 3.88 - that was the email I got in May. "Accepted given that your wGPA has not fallen below X.XX)

Our intro week

I think the wGPA for OOP last year was 3.89 + (might have been 3.88 - that was the email I got in May. "Accepted given that your wGPA has not fallen below X.XX)

I think it was 3.88, which was still higher than the old one (3.87). As someone that has gone through the entire interview invite thread, I remember 3.88 being the lowest OOP invite that I saw.

Archived