Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Residency after US MD

Hi, I am a Canadian who is hoping to be accepted to a US medical school. Does anyone know how realistic the chances are for a US graduate to land an Ontario residency position in the areas of 1) family medicine, and 2) neurology? Would going to a school right on the border (i.e. Wayne State in Detroit) as opposed to elsewhere in the US help land a spot in say Windsor or London Ontairo?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I am a Canadian who is hoping to be accepted to a US medical school. Does anyone know how realistic the chances are for a US graduate to land an Ontario residency position in the areas of 1) family medicine, and 2) neurology? Would going to a school right on the border (i.e. Wayne State in Detroit) as opposed to elsewhere in the US help land a spot in say Windsor or London Ontairo?

The best chances to be in Canada is to go to medical school in Canada. To do CaRMS you need electives and LoRs from those electives. Elective priority is given to Canadian students, so coming from the states, it would be difficult to compete in that regard.

You can definitely try however but once you come out of the Canadian system, you have to be flexible. Most schools in the US are solid as they accredited by LCME so you will be in the first round, so I believe if you want Family Medicine there are lots of open spots so that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you apply widely.

Other specialties you will likely have to work for that but apply broadly and get good LORs and theoretically you should be equal to a Canadian grad. Its difficult to know if in practice thats actually true.

• 2 months later...

I am a Canadian studying at a mid to low-tier US medical school. I am applying to CaRMS in a fairly competitive specialty. I had no trouble obtaining CaRMS interviews across Canada. Neither did any of my Canadian friends at my medical school who were applying to various specialities ranging from neurosurgery to internal medicine. I recommend doing an elective or two in Canada in your desired specialty, and if possible, at your desired residency program/university. FYI: I did not do any away rotations in Canada in my fourth year, yet still had no difficulty obtaining interviews. Just show interest in your desired specialty, perform well on your 3rd/4th year clinical rotations, and obtain great LORs from attending physicians you know well, and you should be fine.

You will have no difficulty getting interviews in either family medicine or neurology at most programs in Canada. As long as you are a Canadian citizen and you attend an LCME accredited medical school in the US, you are treated as a Canadian Medical Graduate (CMG) and, on paper, should be treated equally to medical students from Canadian medical schools.

Please PM if you have any additional questions.

• 2 months later...
Did you have mediocre, good, or excellent usmle scores? Did they play in your Carms success?

Sorry for the late reply. I performed very well on the USMLEs (~90th percentile), but these scores, while certainly not hurting my application, likely played no role in my CaRMS success. I would say that my clerkship evaluations in relevant subspecialties (we had honors vs. near honors vs. pass) and strong LORs were most important for my successful match.

Archived