Premed 101 Forums

Reading material before Med 3 and 4 Clerkship/Electives?

Hi there! firstly, sorry about the very newbie stuff that will be asked on this thread. i'm about to enter clerkship/elective years and i would like to ask for some advice about reading materials before and during clerkship/electives. from what i've read, toronto notes are great (for MCCEE too!) and some consider the case files series to be pretty decent stuff. Are there any other books you guys would recommend that really helped you throughout your clerkship years, especially for rotations like IM, Gen Surg, Gas, Ortho, Family, EM, and OBGYN?

also, apart from working on clinical skills, how else can i prepare myself before entering clerkship so that i would be able to contribute to the team whilst i'm there?

thank you so so much! :D

The first aid series is decent. A more concise version of TorontoNotes. You will spend you time more efficiently if you read that. I used this as primary resource for studying surgery and medicine for the MCCQE I. Just watch out for the American units here and there, that's the only downside to the book.

I suggest: http://www.amazon.ca/First-USMLE-Step-Eighth-Edition/dp/0071761373/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

The first aid series is decent. A more concise version of TorontoNotes. You will spend you time more efficiently if you read that. I used this as primary resource for studying surgery and medicine for the MCCQE I. Just watch out for the American units here and there, that's the only downside to the book.

I suggest: http://www.amazon.ca/First-USMLE-Step-Eighth-Edition/dp/0071761373/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

thanks! i shall definitely look into first aid as well :D

thanks man. btw, have you used the oxford handbook series as well? if so, what's your opinion of them?

My opinion is they aren't that good for clerkship, at least not here in Canada. I see a lot of UK elective students use it, but I find it doesn't have the information I really want (investigations, doses, evidence).

thanks man. btw, have you used the oxford handbook series as well? if so, what's your opinion of them?

Ok. The few I saw didn't give you good treatment info. For example it would say something like "treat with antibiotics" but not tell you type or dose. Drove me nuts and I stopped looking at it.

Archived