Premed 101 Forums

2YGPA & Pass/Fail Courses

Hey so here is my confusion,

I'm in nursing right now, and this semester involves 3 courses. 2 of those courses are for %. The other one involves a 3hr seminar and two days/week at the hospital, but it's pass/fail.

I see Queen's has 2YGPA is based off of two most recent years of full study (3 courses/semester--as defined by them).

It says Pass/Fail courses don't count though. Does that mean they don't count towards the credit requirement for a full course load? Or are they just stating the obvious--they don't count towards GPA.

Really just wondering if my semester of 3 courses will satisfy the 2YGPA if one of those 3 courses is a pass/fail course.

Well, for those people in my shoes without an account and want to know the answer.

The lady at Queen's admissions office said it's ok.

Now. to take the 2014 MCAT without courses in orgo and physics. Or to take orgo, physics, biochem, and sociology and do the 2015 MCAT.

:eek:

oh lord, this year is going to be horrible.

Well, for those people in my shoes without an account and want to know the answer.

The lady at Queen's admissions office said it's ok.

Now. to take the 2014 MCAT without courses in orgo and physics. Or to take orgo, physics, biochem, and sociology and do the 2015 MCAT.

:eek:

oh lord, this year is going to be horrible.

ha - sorry we collectively missed your post - it is known that they allow that and it is always good to hear that nothing has changed.

tough call - don't risk that GPA though. I mean when so few courses are going into the pot you don't want to mess up of course.

ha - sorry we collectively missed your post - it is known that they allow that and it is always good to hear that nothing has changed.

tough call - don't risk that GPA though. I mean when so few courses are going into the pot you don't want to mess up of course.

Yea tell me about it. I went into my last exam, pretty sure I knew more about the subject than the prof haha. It is a little nerve racking tho! I think i'll still apply to UBC for the heck of it.

• 4 years later...
On 10/11/2013 at 4:55 PM, stewart262 said:

Oh yeah, and the pass fail course is actually worth 6 credits i believe. Not that it matters.

do u know if you have 2 double weight courses, where 1 is % grade while the other is p/f, it'd still count as "full-time study"? 

I'm also in nursing and as u know, clinicals are always p/f.... 

10 hours ago, TPL said:

do u know if you have 2 double weight courses, where 1 is % grade while the other is p/f, it'd still count as "full-time study"? 

I'm also in nursing and as u know, clinicals are always p/f.... 

This thread is ~5 years old so not sure if this person will respond. From the Queens website: 

Courses with Pass/Fail grades or transfer credits (including International Baccalaureate, Advance Placement and CEGEP programs)  are not included in GPA calculations, but are considered credit requirement totals.

I believe they count 'credits' and not actual courses based on what they say about course weight. So if you have the 'equivalent' of 3+ courses per semester you should be fine. May want to clarify with them though.

3 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

This thread is ~5 years old so not sure if this person will respond. From the Queens website: 

Courses with Pass/Fail grades or transfer credits (including International Baccalaureate, Advance Placement and CEGEP programs)  are not included in GPA calculations, but are considered credit requirement totals.

I believe they count 'credits' and not actual courses based on what they say about course weight. So if you have the 'equivalent' of 3+ courses per semester you should be fine. May want to clarify with them though.

Thanks for the reply! That would be awesome if they do count it. I will definitely clarify next cycle when I apply. :)

Archived