Premed 101 Forums

How to thank an exceptional resident?

Hi everyone, being a nube to this whole heirarchy as a new clerk and not knowing much about the culture and etiquette of actually being in medicine, I am wondering what to do if I want to thank my resident? He is very kind and goes the extra mile for my learning. He teaches me even when he is swamped with patients. I was thinking of a thankyou card, perhaps some chocolate etc but dont want to appear to be "bribing" him for evals....

Hi everyone, being a nube to this whole heirarchy as a new clerk and not knowing much about the culture and etiquette of actually being in medicine, I am wondering what to do if I want to thank my resident? He is very kind and goes the extra mile for my learning. He teaches me even when he is swamped with patients. I was thinking of a thankyou card, perhaps some chocolate etc but dont want to appear to be "bribing" him for evals....

If it's me you are thanking, I would recommend an envelope stuffed with cash.

Otherwise, just an email after evals are in would be nice. As a bonus, copy his/her program director on the email. Then it can go in the resident's portfolio, which can be pulled by the Royal College during the exam in cases where the resident is borderline on failing. Extra stuff like your email can help push the person to the passing level. That's an awesome gift.

Yeah, I agree with the above, a thank you by email with the program director CC'ed on it would be a very nice thank you.

It's very thoughtful of you to recognize the effort that goes into teaching :)

Although a gift is a nice sentiment, I would skip the chocolate and put your gratitude in writing instead, as others have said. It will be much more meaningful and beneficial to them (not only as something nice to reread in the future, but in terms of career boost, should they apply for anything involving teaching).

Some thoughts:

- end of rotation evaluations, if you are able to include residents

- nominating the resident for a teaching award (most schools have them) and perhaps cc'ing the letter to the program for their file

- don't forget to include specific examples and details to really show how they were exceptional!

I'd send two separate emails; a short thank-you to the resident, and a detailed awesome email to the PD. It would look even better if you're not applying to the specialty.

A good reputation will also strengthen the PD's reference letter for the resident's fellowship or job application.

Archived