Premed 101 Forums

Invasive vs Non-invasive Cardiologist

Hi all.

My question for you is what exactly is the difference between an invasive and non-invasive cardiologist and how does one go about becoming either or?

I've done a bit of research and understand that you do 3 years of internal med with an additional 3 years of cardio for residency, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on the steps after that. Input would be appreciated :)

Hi all.

My question for you is what exactly is the difference between an invasive and non-invasive cardiologist and how does one go about becoming either or?

I've done a bit of research and understand that you do 3 years of internal med with an additional 3 years of cardio for residency, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on the steps after that. Input would be appreciated :)

If you are non interventional, you can start working after your fellowship. Interventional requires fellowship training. Probably 2 years or so.

If you are non interventional, you can start working after your fellowship. Interventional requires fellowship training. Probably 2 years or so.

Not that none interventionalists don't have to do fellowships as well in many cases. - particularly for anything academic, but yeah quite correct that the difference is simply in post residency fellowship training.

They are also competitive fields, and the job market if various subspecialties can be soft. Interventional cardiology in particular right now.

Hi all.

Basically and interventional doc has done everything a non interventional has but has done a 1-2 year fellowship focusing solely on coronary and structural interventions.

Non-interventional guys can still do procedures like diagnostic caths, right heart caths, biopsy, TEEs etc, but not coronary and definitely not structural interventions.

Basically and interventional doc has done everything a non interventional has but has done a 1-2 year fellowship focusing solely on coronary and structural interventions.

Non-interventional guys can still do procedures like diagnostic caths, right heart caths, biopsy, TEEs etc, but not coronary and definitely not structural interventions.

I'm not too familiar with the examinations involved after completing a fellowship. Are there a set of exams that you have to write and pass prior to starting work as a non-interventional cardiologist?

Archived