Premed 101 Forums

How important is research?

I know this is a bit early as I am a first year medical student, but I am currently interested in ENT. Having said this, I am also interested in a basic science research project, which is unrelated to the specialty in my mind. The research project at my home school actually requires 2 year commitments.

So here's my dilemma: While I want to pursue the research project, I have been told by others that field-specific research (i.e. ENT research in this case) is very important for competitive fields such as ENT.

Is this true? :confused:

Yes, it's true for small competitive fields such as ENT not necessarily because of what you will publish, but most importantly because of who you will work with.

PR, connections... one of the most importants aspects of a successful match in these specialties, and it will become more and more important as surgical residency positions will decrease in the close future

Yes, it's true for small competitive fields such as ENT not necessarily because of what you will publish, but most importantly because of who you will work with.

PR, connections... one of the most importants aspects of a successful match in these specialties, and it will become more and more important as surgical residency positions will decrease in the close future

Thanks for your reply.

So is it better off to do research in ENT? :(

I am interested in incorporating research into my future career - and there is a good basic science research project out there that interests me... :( Having said this, pursuing this research means that I will not be able to do any research in ENT during pre-clerkship.

I guess if I want something competitive, I would have to play the game :mad:

Knowing a basic scientist will not get you that ENT spot. Work with an ENT surgeon that will give you a project that is feasible to publish before CaRMS and is willing to mentor you. This connection will be invaluable - you will have someone to ask questions about the field, do pre-clerkship observerships/clerkship electives with, advise you, etc...

Research is more than just the project - it's also about fostering connections with attending physicians who will get to know (and hopefully like!) you.

Knowing a basic scientist will not get you that ENT spot. Work with an ENT surgeon that will give you a project that is feasible to publish before CaRMS and is willing to mentor you. This connection will be invaluable - you will have someone to ask questions about the field, do pre-clerkship observerships/clerkship electives with, advise you, etc...

Research is more than just the project - it's also about fostering connections with attending physicians who will get to know (and hopefully like!) you.

It's mostly about fostering connections so people in that field advocate for you at the time of CaRMS. The actual research isn't that important since its highly unlikely it will be anything big or widely read.

I see...

But is it also possible to make connections during clerkship? or am I going to be "behind" if I don't make those connections in pre-clerkship?

Thanks everyone :)

Essentially, yes. Competative candidates are working at things in pre clerkship. The earlier, the better.

You could work on both projects if you are really interested.

Archived