Premed 101 Forums

Interview questions

residentIM

Also, know stuff about the city etc. Sometimes that comes up to see how interested you might be in living there.

For example, in Winnipeg, you can talk about how you love Ballett,a me they have to Royal Winnipeg there so it's appealing. Or the jets. Or the blue bombers etc.

Interviewed at nearly all locations for my specialty (surgical), and was only asked 2 "medical" questions, and neither were especially hard. Pretty much just " this happens when you are on call, what do you do?"

I don't think programs are supposed to ask you about things like relationship status, religion etc. Despite this, I had one program with multiple questions about these type of things. I just answered them honestly, and then ranked that program last. Wasn't interested in going to a program that cared about things like that in selecting people. Remember that programs want to get the best people they can, and most will try to impress you.

What is your approach to RLQ pain?

What are the causes of acute pancreatitis?

Those type questions are probably more aimed at finding out about how you think through a problem and organize your plan, not on your actual plan's merits.

I was asked:

"You are assisting your staff in the OR on a big case. ER calls. They have a septic patient who needs quick assessment. Right after floor calls with post op chest pain. Tell us what you do"

That's fair. It's designed to assess how you think and problem solve.

Asking something like "you order trops on the chest pain, what's the sensitivity and specificity of trop in this case" is stupid.

Those type questions are probably more aimed at finding out about how you think through a problem and organize your plan, not on your actual plan's merits.

I agree. I did get scenario questions as well. But I interviewed at 2 schools who grilled me with stone-cold knowledge-base questions, anatomy and clinical, most of which were reasonable. I'm not against this type of questioning though. If you claim to be interested in, say, neurosurgery, you ought to know the branches of the circle of willis. We all know it's tough to objectively evaluate carms candidates on paper.

I agree. I did get scenario questions as well. But I interviewed at 2 schools who grilled me with stone-cold knowledge-base questions, anatomy and clinical, most of which were reasonable. I'm not against this type of questioning though. If you claim to be interested in, say, neurosurgery, you ought to know the branches of the circle of willis. We all know it's tough to objectively evaluate carms candidates on paper.

one of the best ways to gauge interest as well. I mean if you are honestly interested in a field you should probably know the basics prior to the interview. If not there is something wrong.

That's annoying. What are the questions that are legitimately not OK for a program to ask? Like - religion/sexual orientation/relationship status? Anything else? Are they allowed to ask if you intend to rank their program first?

Cannot ask you about ranking according to CARMS rules, cannot ask you those sorts of personal questions you mentioned.

one of the best ways to gauge interest as well. I mean if you are honestly interested in a field you should probably know the basics prior to the interview. If not there is something wrong.

Were they places you did electives at? If not it makes some sense because they would have no other way to test your knowledge base. If you did electives there, it's kinda stupid since if they don't have a very good idea of your knowledge level from the elective, they completely **** the bed.

Were they places you did electives at? If not it makes some sense because they would have no other way to test your knowledge base. If you did electives there, it's kinda stupid since if they don't have a very good idea of your knowledge level from the elective, they completely **** the bed.

some truth to that - although it isn't as standardized I guess ( some places are big on that ) - different sites, different people you work with at some centres....

Either way I don't really see the harm in the approach - the idea that you can do a job interview and questions related to the knowledge base for that job should be used seems strange to me. Not only because they test your skill/knowledge but add a bit of pressure to the mix that lets them see you in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me something memorable about the elective you did in (*whateverplace)

As NLengr said, the medical knowledge questions are sometimes only partly about your knowledge, and more about the manner in which you answer the question. And if there is a plan component to it, they're looking for safety.

Archived