Premed 101 Forums

Interview days determined by pre-ranking?

Underdawg

I know this will sound strange (or just dumb) but while I was on an

elective, a member of the home school let something slip or so I thought when she said "your at a disadvantage if you interview on the latter day" but then she quickly changed subject. Was this a subjective opinion that I'm reading too much into (extremely likely) or do schools that tell you which day you will interview on (as opposed to giving you a choice) actually have a reason for doing so?

Just curious.

elective, a member of the home school let something slip or so I thought when she said "your at a disadvantage if you interview on the latter day" but then she quickly changed subject. Was this a subjective opinion that I'm reading too much into (extremely likely) or do schools that tell you which day you will interview on (as opposed to giving you a choice) actually have a reason for doing so?

Just curious.

It's hard not to get wrapped up in speculating, isn't it? I do it too.

I think what you're talking about is extremely, extremely unlikely. What would the advantage to the programs be if this was the case? So they could fill up all their spots early in the interview cycle and then spend their time interviewing the remaining people... for fun?

I remember reading a study a while ago that said applicants who interview later on a given day are at a disadvantage because they are compared to the best candidates the interviewer has already seen that day. This is probably what your supervisor was referring to. Or maybe they were just making random meaningless conversation and you're reading into it because that's all there is to do at this stage of the application cycle. :D

Just curious.

Much more likely, she was making reference to the fact that the interviewers would be tired out/looking forward to getting back to their regular routine/more interested in moving on to ranking applicants.

For the same reason, you're also at a disadvantage if you're the last person interviewed before lunch.

Much more likely, she was making reference to the fact that the interviewers would be tired out/looking forward to getting back to their regular routine/more interested in moving on to ranking applicants.

For the same reason, you're also at a disadvantage if you're the last person interviewed before lunch.

gah, so many variables - I wouldn't say you are necessarily disadvantaged at last or prior to lunch either, it depends on the overall structure. Often the interview blocks are pretty short - it isn't like the team is getting exhausted. Plus being last or first in anything can make you remembered better.

You can over think things :) Better to focus of course on the things you can control that count for a lot more than things like this (easy to say of course).

Archived