Premed 101 Forums

What factors determine how much OR time you get as a surgeon in a particular department? Academic rank? Seniority? This might be an oversimplification but maybe only one day/week for the new guys and two days/week for the relatively older guys?

It doesn't seem to vary with seniority at any hospital I am have been at - it is simply an even split among all the surgeons in a department.

What factors determine how much OR time you get as a surgeon in a particular department? Academic rank? Seniority? This might be an oversimplification but maybe only one day/week for the new guys and two days/week for the relatively older guys?

OR time according to seniority and academic rank is an old european model (unfortunately still widespread in Europe). See Nlengr's answer for details about our system in North America.

OR time according to seniority and academic rank is an old european model (unfortunately still widespread in Europe). See Nlengr's answer for details about our system in North America.

Yeah, that's not true.

Seniority certainly plays a factor. Recent hires typically have less OR days. Also, they'll more often be operating later in the week when the bed situation might be tight (ie cases may get cancelled) and the patients will have to be in over the weekend (ie the senior guys want to minimize weekend rounding). Varies widely from center to center both within Canada and the US, I'm sure.

This isn't always the case.

Yeah, that's not true.

Seniority certainly plays a factor. Recent hires typically have less OR days. Also, they'll more often be operating later in the week when the bed situation might be tight (ie cases may get cancelled) and the patients will have to be in over the weekend (ie the senior guys want to minimize weekend rounding). Varies widely from center to center both within Canada and the US, I'm sure.

In what centre have you seen that policy?

Yeah, that's not true.

That's a terrible policy, where's that?

Another quick question,

Do surgeons bill the government for their work on clinic days or do they only make money when they are actually in the OR operating?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am still a premed with virtually zero inside information and I am just curious.

Thanks!

Another quick question,

Do surgeons bill the government for their work on clinic days or do they only make money when they are actually in the OR operating?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am still a premed with virtually zero inside information and I am just curious.

Thanks!

You get paid for clinic work. Consults and follow ups. Plus any clinic procedures.

Archived