Premed 101 Forums

IM Interview system

holden

Hey everyone,

Just wondering about the internal medicine interview system email that came out today.

Am I to assume that the list of schools that shows up when I log in are the schools that are offering me interviews?

Just a little confused if we can take this as official or not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Queen's IM invites came out really early in the interviews thread. Did they not participate in this system?

They did participate. Queen's sent invites out earlier to Queen's students thought. Whoever posted it in the thread must go to Queens.

Is the list under "NOT" final? Did anyone else make out really poorly? If I had applied to internal only, I'd be freaking out right now. I'm not a superstar applicant but at the same time have no red flags, great evals, and mos electives done in a mash mash of internal stuff, etc.

Is the list under "NOT" final? Did anyone else make out really poorly? If I had applied to internal only, I'd be freaking out right now. I'm not a superstar applicant but at the same time have no red flags, great evals, and mos electives done in a mash mash of internal stuff, etc.

Yeah, I too made out poorly. What the system said yesterday is the result I received today, however.

Yeah, I too made out poorly. What the system said yesterday is the result I received today, however.

Same here. The interview offers I saw last night were the ones I ended up receiving. I applied absolutely everywhere for internal and I was pretty surprised to only get 5 interviews.

Same here. The interview offers I saw last night were the ones I ended up receiving. I applied absolutely everywhere for internal and I was pretty surprised to only get 5 interviews.

I wonder if this year is just ridiculously competitive for Internal. I wonder if this will be a trend.

I wonder if this year is just ridiculously competitive for Internal. I wonder if this will be a trend.

Im wondering the same thing. I thought I was a pretty strong applicant. All electives in internal subspecialties, across the country, three strong letters... I have no idea what happened.

Western and Alberta haven't sent me e-mails either way. Nor Memorial.

I emailed Ana Malbrecht a little while ago asking if there was a response, either way, coming to me. This is what she said:

"Unfortunately you were not selected for an interview. When you logged into the interview site you should have seen the list of Universities that offered you an interview and another list of Universities that have not.

Best of luck with the match."

so i guess they aren't sending rejection emails, which seems a bit questionable.

Memorial isn't releasing their interviews until tomorrow because the school is closed today due to weather. There was a note indicating this on the login page of the interview selection website earlier this morning.

I was surprised with the number of interviews I received too...looks like IM might actually be competitive this year...

Memorial isn't releasing their interviews until tomorrow because the school is closed today due to weather. There was a note indicating this on the login page of the interview selection website earlier this morning.

I was surprised with the number of interviews I received too...looks like IM might actually be competitive this year...

I was also surprised with my interviews; I thought I would get more. I wonder if the changes in GIM fees and the somewhat bleak outlook for certain sub specs is driving this or if this is just a crazy year. I heard several R1s say that last year it was also like this so maybe this is the new status quo?

I believe memorial has sent out at least some interviews since I booked mine this AM. Maybe just some went out as it is pretty chaotic with the weather on the east coast right now. I would wait till tomorrow when the school opens to see what happens. Hell, maybe mine was a mistake!

Regardless, hopefully, I believe we should all match somewhere. It will work out. This aint ROAD quite yet.

I was also surprised with my interviews; I thought I would get more. I wonder if the changes in GIM fees and the somewhat bleak outlook for certain sub specs is driving this or if this is just a crazy year. I heard several R1s say that last year it was also like this so maybe this is the new status quo?

I believe memorial has sent out at least some interviews since I booked mine this AM. Maybe just some went out as it is pretty chaotic with the weather on the east coast right now. I would wait till tomorrow when the school opens to see what happens. Hell, maybe mine was a mistake!

Regardless, hopefully, I believe we should all match somewhere. It will work out. This aint ROAD quite yet.

What changes in GIM fees are you referring to? Haven't heard of anything so I am curious.

I applied pretty broadly so I was surprised that schools I did electives at aren't interviewing me. I think most people are also surprised in my class with the interviews they got, but nobody did poorly... I don't know of anyone getting an interview to every school they applied to but several that nearly cleaned up (80-90% interviews from application)

This is all from late night talks with various Sr while on call so please take with a grain of salt. Apparently, GIM fee codes were beefed up or changed in such a way that resulted in better renumeration; I don't know when this occurred but it was some what recent. In fact, I was told that GIM fees in some areas now exceeded codes for sub spec doing similar activities (I am not talking about scoping or bronchs but rather consults). I didn't believe this at first but I have heard other R2-3 talk about this.

This was all in BC.

I think the better flexibility of GIM vs other sub spec (don't need a cath lab or dialysis or to be at a major centre), the ability to acquire new skills (I encountered a fair # of GIM ppl learning to scope, bronch who then wanted to setup rural shop) and the supposed difficulty in finding work in some fields (I don't want to comment on this as I don't have enough insight into this issue) is making IM, GIM in particular, more appealing.

Archived