Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

No no no, don't say that! Maybe they have yet to review the final round of grad applications! (Also a grad applicant here.)

Positive thinking, positive thinking

Also: if they deemed that you didn't have that much graduate work to evaluate, I believe they put you in with the undergrad applications and just evaluate you that way. This seems somewhat likely for me as I have no publications and not too many presentations.

Definitely not. A graduate applicant is a graduate applicant. Students who do course-work graduate programs are still considered graduate applicants - and don't necessarily have much "graduate work" to evaluate. However, with a lack of graduate productivity, their application/ABS could be similar to an undergrads - thus not giving them much of a competitive advantage. But they would still only have to meet the graduate cutoffs for GPA etc.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely not. A graduate applicant is a graduate applicant. Students who do course-work graduate programs are still considered graduate applicants - and don't necessarily have much "graduate work" to evaluate. However, with a lack of graduate productivity, their application/ABS could be similar to an undergrads - thus not giving them much of a competitive advantage. But they would still only have to meet the graduate cutoffs for GPA etc.

5th question under "Graduate Applicants"

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Page2571.aspx#graduate

Something I've always wondered about how they view a grad applicant relative to an undergrad. Are grads considered more favourably overall if they've maintained good productivity (also considering similar undergrad GPA, etc)? I know UofT really values research, and I wonder if that gives grad applicants a leg up of sorts.

I started a significant EC activity in October 2013, so just after I had submitted my app. for this year. Can I bring that activity up in my interview or should I not mention it since it isn't on my ABS?

Nope, don't bring it up. Time has officially stopped since you submitted your application so it's not worth mentioning something that never happened. (sarcasm)

Result: Invite

wGPA: unsure, OMSAS GPA 3.92

MCAT: 13P/11V/11B

ECs: clinical and laboratory research, poster pubs, manuscript, volunteering, teaching assistant, camp sup, soccer team, and others

Essays: was nervous due to last minute editing errors - missing apostrophes, and were kind of relatively last minute.

When, though?

O.k. so I'm just desperately trying to find any glimmer of hope that my application is still alive and not in a bin of regrets just waiting to be e-mailed out in a soul-crushing deluge upon the frail spirits of anxious applicants so......

I just got the applicant survey from U of T today. Any chance that means that my file has only recently been activated ie. reached a reviewer's hands?

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm asking because it doesn't change anything. I know there's no way to know whether or not I'll get an invite until I get the official e-mail but somehow just typing the question keeps my hopes alive.

;-/

O.k. so I'm just desperately trying to find any glimmer of hope that my application is still alive and not in a bin of regrets just waiting to be e-mailed out in a soul-crushing deluge upon the frail spirits of anxious applicants so......

I just got the applicant survey from U of T today. Any chance that means that my file has only recently been activated ie. reached a reviewer's hands?

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm asking because it doesn't change anything. I know there's no way to know whether or not I'll get an invite until I get the official e-mail but somehow just typing the question keeps my hopes alive.

;-/

I got it today too, for the third time this year. I'm not sure I'd attach any significance to it. Unless they've reviewed my application three times.

;-/

As I understand it, based on the fact that they only identify us as an applicant and that they tell us point-blank that it has nothing to do with our application itself, this survey has absolutely nothing to do with our applications reaching anyone's hands at admissions. It only has to do with our having applied to medical school.

This isn't going to help with the anxiety of waiting.

Perhaps, those who are involved in the file review process can enlighten us.

If files are being reviewed in "batches" and interviews are being sent out on a rolling basis, wouldn't it make sense to send out the regrets on a rolling basis as well? :confused:

This isn't going to help with the anxiety of waiting.

Perhaps, those who are involved in the file review process can enlighten us.

If files are being reviewed in "batches" and interviews are being sent out on a rolling basis, wouldn't it make sense to send out the regrets on a rolling basis as well? :confused:

Somebody here said that U/T doesn't release all regrets out until all interviews are confirmed. That way they don't need the waitlist.

Not to pry, but were they an undergrad or grad applicant?

I wonder what the rejection notification process is, how do they decide who to let know and when? (Asking for theories!)

He is in his second year of a thesis based master's degree.

I can't comment on how rejections are released but unofficially I know of at least one person who got one so it's probable to say that some regrets are likely going out.

This is completely speculation but I think what they might be doing is going through the files and sorting them into three categories. Interview invite, Undecided (sort of like a wait list), rejection.

Because it's rolling admissions, I am assuming they are keeping some of the applicants on standby as a buffer in case they put the standard for interview too high or if for whatever reason the last batch of reviewed applicants is weaker than expected. This way they don't have to contact previously rejected people telling them they are actually invited for an interview.

Also, I think everyone who has gotten an invite has not been flagged (MCAT). Perhaps they are putting all flagged people in this undecided category and will sort through those afterwards for the last interview spots. Again just speculation.

So if you haven't gotten an invite, it might be because you are in the undecided pile or because they have yet to review your file. Still hope!

This is completely speculation but I think what they might be doing is going through the files and sorting them into three categories. Interview invite, Undecided (sort of like a wait list), rejection.

Because it's rolling admissions, I am assuming they are keeping some of the applicants on standby as a buffer in case they put the standard for interview too high or if for whatever reason the last batch of reviewed applicants is weaker than expected. This way they don't have to contact previously rejected people telling them they are actually invited for an interview.

Also, I think everyone who has gotten an invite has not been flagged (MCAT). Perhaps they are putting all flagged people in this undecided category and will sort through those afterwards for the last interview spots. Again just speculation.

So if you haven't gotten an invite, it might be because you are in the undecided pile or because they have yet to review your file. Still hope!

Hope this is the way that they are doing. Thanks.

This doesn't make sense... U of T doesn't work on a rolling admission basis?!

Archived