Premed 101 Forums

SCS 2472 Biochemistry with a Medical Perspective

jeffth

Has anyone taken this online course offered by the University of Toronto? I am considering taking it this summer, so any feedback would be much appreciated!

I've taken it (last summer). It is super interesting, each week a disease (and often treatments for diseases) are discussed and how they relate to the material covered that week. It is a lot of work though, as the course covers a full years worth of material in about 3 months!!

• 3 weeks later...

I took the course in 2012/2013, and found it was a nice way to learn two semesters of bchem in a short period. There are three lectures a week, and they take down the videos after each week, so you are forced to keep up with your work. I really liked being able to pause the videos to write notes and think about what I was being taught, it was definitely more pleasant than the traditional, frantic scrawl classroom experience. The quizzes were fairly straightforward, but I found the final exam to be quite difficult, due to the fact that it is a cumulative exam with four months worth of course work on it. Lots of pathways and long names to memorize haha. Study time per week will probably vary with how easy/difficult you find bchem, but I usually spent a few hours every couple of weeks going over the previous lectures.

The only downside to the course is that some of the teachers are fantastic and engaging, and others boring and difficult to pay attention to. I suppose that's a pretty standard teacher experience though haha.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived