Premed 101 Forums

Where's the funding come from?

Who would I inquire about who exactly is funding my residency? Who would I even begin to contact to figure this out? I don't want to go to the PGME office and ask.

I feel if I have funding for a certain program, and want to transfer to a different program (in same province), and they're willing to make space for me my funding should come with me. I want to inquire about this.

Ministry of Health for the province?

Who would I inquire about who exactly is funding my residency? Who would I even begin to contact to figure this out? I don't want to go to the PGME office and ask.

I feel if I have funding for a certain program, and want to transfer to a different program (in same province), and they're willing to make space for me my funding should come with me. I want to inquire about this.

Ministry of Health for the province?

It is the ministry and not the hospital :)

It is the ministry and not the hospital :)

So if you can find a program in the same province that will take you why does a transfer have to be so difficult. I understand they can be full due to not being able to accommodate more residents versus funding. But if I have funding and they can make space for me what is the issue?

So if you can find a program in the same province that will take you why does a transfer have to be so difficult. I understand they can be full due to not being able to accommodate more residents versus funding. But if I have funding and they can make space for me what is the issue?

has your home program released you? Are they expecting hardship in managing their patients as a result you potentially leaving? What is the issue they are raising?

I'm just wondering why it's so hard to switch to a program willing to take you (even though they're "full") because you still have your funding. Dean Walcott says nope, you can't switch to blah blah because they're full.

Hmm...While not an expert at university politics, I think you have to figure out where there resistance is coming from and use some leverage against it. If the receiving program is truly amenable to having you, then their program director needs to talk to either the departmental chair or the divisional chief (depending on how things are structured where your work) who then needs to speak to Dean Wormer and say "Look, we want Talon01 in our program what's the problem?"

Actually kind of surprised that your transfer is being nixed at the decanal level. In my limited understanding this sort of thing shouldn't have to go higher than program director level. Is your current PD trying to stonewall you?

I'm just wondering why it's so hard to switch to a program willing to take you (even though they're "full") because you still have your funding. Dean Walcott says nope, you can't switch to blah blah because they're full.

well if they are full then there might be a good reason - at least on paper - to stop the move because it would potentially weaken the training experience of everyone else. Plus it leaves a hole where you were that may weaken that program.

I mean this is the hard part about residency - in theory it is a contract they don't have to bend on as I understand it and have been told. They usually aren't this firm about things as it is a bit silly to be so, but they don't have to let you move I think.

It is odd though the dean is blocking this at all - I am with ploughboy on this and that these are normally handled at the PD level. It is odd the dean is involved - what did you PD say about moving?

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, I've heard program's say they are full. They know how many residents they need each year to run the program perfectly and extras will complicate the rotation/call/experience. If the program is forced to demonstrate that each of their graduates has been exposed to X surgeries blah blah, its a bit scary to dilute the pool with an extra resident.

Archived