Premed 101 Forums

Site Preference

I'm not from N.Ontario (or Ontario at all), and I have no idea what to do for the site preference form. I'm thinking about putting no preference down, would that impact my application at all? Are there any advantages to being at one site or another in terms of education, facilities and opportunities for observer ships?

I wish we could submit the form after interviews.

Thanks!!

I'm not from N.Ontario (or Ontario at all), and I have no idea what to do for the site preference form. I'm thinking about putting no preference down, would that impact my application at all? Are there any advantages to being at one site or another in terms of education, facilities and opportunities for observer ships?

I wish we could submit the form after interviews.

Thanks!!

It won't effect you chance of admission. they go down the list and try to give the select 64 their preferred location, if your lower on the list and your preferred site is full you'll get put at the other site.

Sudbury is a larger center so there may be more facilities. HSN is quite nice and brand new, mind you I've only been in the cancer area. (the helipad sucks :P)A question better left up to Beef.

No it wont effect your chances of admission at all. Historicallt Sudbury has been the more popular choice amongst students. Certainly those from NW Ontario choose Thunder Bay and NE folk choose Sudbury overall.

Sometimes people consider the fact that Sudbury is closer to Southern Ontario and choose it due to that. You will get excellent education in either campus though I am biased .... East is best despite the fact West rhymes with best ;)

So bottom line is consider which city you would be happier in and which may be closer/cheaper to visit family from if you have a close bond to them. If I have any other thoughts Ill post.

Edit: Oh yeah tuition is a little more expensive on the west due to Lakehead fee schedules ... not by much but likely is a sore point in the East vs West comparisons.

Beef

I was thinking of choosing Sudbury, but I have friends in Thunder Bay and friends in Guelph (which is closer to Sudbury). I sort of want to choose the site that will give me the most options for obeserverships in my first to years (to do on my own time) in different specialties. Would Sudbury be a better choice in that regard?

I don't think I have much chance at all at getting in to NOSM given the fact I am not from N.Ontario, or even Ontario. But, I am going to prep for the interview as much as possible.

Beef, West is Best :P

You are going to get a great education no matter what campus you pick. TBay overall has fewer students/residents so you likely have more opportunities to see/do without having to defer to someone with more seniority than yourself, however there may overall be fewer services so it may even out. West has a smaller class and that may allow us to be a bit more social and classmates tend to be further away from family/friends in S.On so we rely more on each other for support and socialization. However you tend to be stuck here without the proximity of S.On. My classmates seem to visit with family once a month or so, whether they go home or have someone come here. Put that student loan to good use!

Whatever campus you end up on will become your home and hopefully your classmates will become your new family.

Archived