Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Irish 5 and 6 Year Programs After 1st Year of University

Stats:

I have previously completed 1st year at a reputable Canadian university with a 3.92/4.0 GPA - 91.5% average.

High School marks were 60-85 with avg of ~75 until 12th Grade courses. 91-92% Final Top 6 (lowest grade in top 6: 80% in 4U chemistry, 94 in 3U chemistry).

94% Top 6 average at time of university admission (including 94% in chemistry mid-term) - Though I doubt this factors in!

Dual Canadian and Irish Citizen. Absolutely love Ireland. Seeking a surgery specialty at this point (orthopedic, neuro, or plastic). No preference as to whether I practice in North America or in the UK/EU. Within North America I would prefer to practice in the US over Canada.

Although it would be difficult, I am able to manage the enormous tuition.

Questions:

How do my chances look for 5 and/or 6 year programs (Trinity, UCD, RSCI, Cork, NUIG)?

Am I still eligible for 6 year programs after having completed one year of university?

Might I have a better chance of entering a competitive specialty (i.e. plastics) via EU residencies? Rather than attempting to match to competitive specialties in Canada via canadian residency & med school.

(the specialty I ultimately end up in is of more importance than the country/location I practice in)

Stats:

I have previously completed 1st year at a reputable Canadian university with a 3.92/4.0 GPA - 91.5% average.

High School marks were 60-85 with avg of ~75 until 12th Grade courses. 91-92% Final Top 6 (lowest grade in top 6: 80% in 4U chemistry, 94 in 3U chemistry).

94% Top 6 average at time of university admission (including 94% in chemistry mid-term) - Though I doubt this factors in!

Dual Canadian and Irish Citizen. Absolutely love Ireland. Seeking a surgery specialty at this point (orthopedic, neuro, or plastic). No preference as to whether I practice in North America or in the UK/EU. Within North America I would prefer to practice in the US over Canada.

Although it would be difficult, I am able to manage the enormous tuition.

Questions:

How do my chances look for 5 and/or 6 year programs (Trinity, UCD, RSCI, Cork, NUIG)?

Am I still eligible for 6 year programs after having completed one year of university?

Might I have a better chance of entering a competitive specialty (i.e. plastics) via EU residencies? Rather than attempting to match to competitive specialties in Canada via canadian residency & med school.

(the specialty I ultimately end up in is of more importance than the country/location I practice in)

Your chances look good for Irish schools assuming you also have some ECs that involve volunteer work and some medical related stuff.

Your chances for plastics are probably higher in Canada although in both cases you will have a difficult time as they are competitive, but knowing what you want early makes it easier.

One thing to note, plastic surgeons don't make much in the UK or Ireland compared to Canada unless you open your own private clinic in London (which also means you need to be able to draw in customers).

Honestly i advise you to stay in Canada. Your grades are on track and you'll probably do well on the MCAT if you study for it you can get into Canadian med schools, go into US or Canadian residency.

If you want plastics there is no way you will get that in Canada or the US if you go to Ireland.

Archived