Premed 101 Forums

PARO negotiations?

durock21

Hey, I'm wondering if anybody knows whether PARO is/will be negotiating a new contract within the next two years? I'm thinking of ranking some Ontario programs high for CaRMS and I know that wages were frozen in the last contract. From what I can see, it looks like the contract expired in 2013 but there's no mention of current negotiations on the PARO website.

Hey, I'm wondering if anybody knows whether PARO is/will be negotiating a new contract within the next two years? I'm thinking of ranking some Ontario programs high for CaRMS and I know that wages were frozen in the last contract. From what I can see, it looks like the contract expired in 2013 but there's no mention of current negotiations on the PARO website.

Sure our current contract has already expired, they have already been negotiating for a while now.

There are negotiation progress notes on the myparo site :)

I think PAR-BC had a freeze for 4 or 6 years before a new contract was in place that continued to place BC as the second worst paying province in the country. Hopefully this does not happen in Ontario.

Just got an email from PARO setting some deadlines for salary counteroffers from the government. Our negotiating personnel wants Ontario residents to be the highest paid in the country (yea good luck) but at least if we aim high we'll likely still fall somewhere in the middle which is decent.

I think PAR-BC had a freeze for 4 or 6 years before a new contract was in place that continued to place BC as the second worst paying province in the country. Hopefully this does not happen in Ontario.

Just got an email from PARO setting some deadlines for salary counteroffers from the government. Our negotiating personnel wants Ontario residents to be the highest paid in the country (yea good luck) but at least if we aim high we'll likely still fall somewhere in the middle which is decent.

yeah I think that is kind of a silly way of phrasing things from them (not to discredit the work they - which is a lot - but it just sounds like something relatively easy to counter at the bargaining table). How about we just had a wage phrase for the past two years, and we work harder than any other hospital employee at the hospital (if you go by shear hours) and get paid less than anyone else on an hourly biases. Oh and you have reduced and plan to reduce more end doctor pay so the traditional justification that we will be rewarded in the end to make up for years of lower pay is holding less water as well.

Ha - phrasing :) It isn't that Ontario deserves to get the highest pay, it is all residents deserve to get a fair income and often don't. Plus even with a higher base salary you have to be careful as our call pay is much worse than many places anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived