Premed 101 Forums

Iron rings

Guest MDHopeful04

Guest MDHopeful04

I heard that when going for a medical school interview, one should not wear any rings on their fingers, exept for a wedding band.

In Canada, students who graduate from an accredited University Engineering program receive an iron ring, to be worn on the pinky finger of their writing hand. This ring represents years of hard work, and the importance of continuous learning and dedication, among other things. (These are also applicable to the medical profession).

This iron ring is distinct and can be easily recognized, identifying its wearer as an Engineer.

If an interviewee wore this ring, would the admissions committee see this as something negative? For example, would they think "if you are so proud to be an Engineer, why not continue being an Engineer for the rest of your life?"

I was just curious about what others thought about this, especially those who are facing this dilemma.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448240</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Iron rings</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

• 2 years later...

I don't know. I think that some people place a lot of emphasis on how they are dressed and what accessories they wear, but neglect to work on their soft skills like confident posture and tone/pace of voice for interviews.

IMO no matter what you're wearing (ridiculous and outlandish outfits/accessories aside) they will look more at how you present yourself and what your thought processes are.

Perhaps because we perceive attire as something we are better able to control, we sometimes concentrate on what we wear and how we wear it.

Be proud of your accomplishments and wear your ring. My father is a lawyer and has been practising family and criminal law for over 30 years. Even though he went straight to law school from engineering, he still wears his engineering ring every single day. The ring is very plain and unshowy. I really don't see how anyone at interviews would even notice it.

Eee, I was planning ot wear my lucky ring that was with me when I wrote the MCAT and summer job interview, both of which went well (which I attribute to the ring). Hahaha...

But yeah, I don't know about med students, but I have no idea what an engineering ring is supposed to look like. And I bet a lot of other people don't. So I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably not a big deal at all.

I still wore my nosering!! I know that people worry it would reflect poorly on you because of subconscious bias of the interviewers...didn't work that way for me! I got in to Dal with a nosering!

What do my comments have to do with this thread? Nothing really, except I feel that the interviewers really aren't going to judge you on this stuff. If you have a good interview, you could have pink hair and you're going to get in (really, I heard this happened!)

Yeah that's true, anyone have any other obvious facial piercings? I still feel that they wouldn't judge you on it. I have random ear piercings too, but they're pretty subtle, so I don't think anyone would notice.

I guess this is for another thread... LOL

Dress professionally, including piercings. I know a bunch of you seem think this is a really wide and vague definition, but it's not. Professional is pretty easy to figure out and if you are seriously questioning whether some aspect of your attire is professional, it probably isn't.

As long as you show up to the interview looking professional, I don't really care how you look. Now go focus on what matters: substance. I have a good feeling that a dynamic, interesting and engaging personality will probably distract me from your nose stud or eyebrow ring. :rolleyes:

I wore my iron ring to all three interviews I had last year. Nobody commented on it, and I was accepted to all three schools, so I'm sure it doesn't matter. It's a tiny silver band on your pinky, I'm pretty sure the system needs a complete overhaul if this is how we are selecting who gets into medicine now.

If you are going to spend time worrying about something, worry about your actual interviewing skills. That's what will make or break acceptance.

As someone who will be an interviewer this year, I must say...If I am thinking about your ring, either you are REALLY boring, or it is REALLY gaudy.

Seriously, I can't imagine a ring mattering at all, even if it is a mood ring, it at least gives you something to talk about.

I'm going to wear mine to my first interview coming up with NOSM. I think that if they ask about the ring it would be a great opportunity to talk about our obligation to ethical service...it was already mentioned that there are similarities in medicine.

Archived