Premed 101 Forums

Quebec University (french) then US?

Dannny

1. You will need the MCAT for US med schools

2. It costs significantly more to study med in the US (wayne state med is something like 50k a semester (not joking/exaggerating)).

3. theres the whole citizenship issue that becomes a problem

these are just some of the issues of studying in the US. Its very possible to do med in the US but it has its challenges. Take a look at the applying to american med school forum, it will answer your questions better then I can.

Oh awesome. So the fact that we've never studied in English doesn't put us at any disadvantage whatsoever?

No. Several schools require English postsecondary credits though. I am not sure if CEGEP courses are accepted.

1. You will need the MCAT for US med schools

2. It costs significantly more to study med in the US (wayne state med is something like 50k a semester (not joking/exaggerating)).

3. theres the whole citizenship issue that becomes a problem

these are just some of the issues of studying in the US. Its very possible to do med in the US but it has its challenges. Take a look at the applying to american med school forum, it will answer your questions better then I can.

50k per YEAR, not semester. The citizenship issue is not a problem. Plenty of Canadians go to medical school in the USA.

No. Several schools require English postsecondary credits though. I am not sure if CEGEP courses are accepted.

50k per YEAR, not semester. The citizenship issue is not a problem. Plenty of Canadians go to medical school in the USA.

That's true, but the language of my other courses (science prereqs, etc) doesn't matter?

That's true, but the language of my other courses (science prereqs, etc) doesn't matter?

I can't answer that, sorry. Emailing a few schools would give you the answer you need. I know a few people who applied to the USA, but I think most of them did HS/CEGEP in English...I can ask around and get back to you!

His question is legitimate. Universities don't always take logical decisions when it comes to certain requirements (ie, UdM asking UdM students to take the TFI if they didn't go to a Francophone HS/Cegep).

Lol yeah.

Thanks guys! Things make more sense.

Just found an interesting compilation of information :

http://www.haverford.edu/deans/prehealth/documents/english_requirements.pdf

Archived