Premed 101 Forums

Two PGY3 years?

Chamilt

Thanks for your reply and it makes sense but I guess it was possible in the past? Or how did these people do it? And I'm assuming there are others.

Through the re-entry program after practicing for several years?

http://fowlerkennedy.com/patient-care-education/staff/tatiana-jevremovic/

http://fowlerkennedy.com/patient-care-education/staff/wanda-millard/

Ah, yes I see, didn't read it too carefully. But if she did a sports med fellowship that would mean she had already completed a FM residency and thus the royal college EM must have been through the reentry program?

Anyway, I was just curious if it was possible to do two PGY3 years. Obviously, it's not very common and likely difficult to swing. But just looking into options.

And yes I am aware of the ability to challenge exams. My family doc recently challenged the ER CCFP after practicing as a fam doc and working in the ER for over 20 years. He figured he knew his **** as he was "doing" the job. So he didn't study the ER "book" material and failed, lol. I guess he was more on the practical side as opposed to the textbook answers they were looking for. So he had to study a bit and successfully passed.

Ah, yes I see, didn't read it too carefully. But if she did a sports med fellowship that would mean she had already completed a FM residency and thus the royal college EM must have been through the reentry program?.

No. You can do a year of sport medicine as part of a 5 year EM residency. It doesn't sound like she did FM at all. Check CPSO if you're really curious.

Anyway, I don't know if it was possible in the past. All I know is that you currently can't do it, because the issue came up at multiple sessions on the CaRMS tour.

Edit: Also, if I recall correctly something like 80% of people go into residency considering a PGY3 year but only around 20% of people actually end up doing one. So my guess is that even if a 4th year was possible at some point it would have been something very few people would have any interest in doing, and that would account for the rarity and not the difficulty in getting one.

No. You can do a year of sport medicine as part of a 5 year EM residency. It doesn't sound like she did FM at all. Check CPSO if you're really curious.

Anyway, I don't know if it was possible in the past. All I know is that you currently can't do it, because the issue came up at multiple sessions on the CaRMS tour.

Edit: Also, if I recall correctly something like 80% of people go into residency considering a PGY3 year but only around 20% of people actually end up doing one. So my guess is that even if a 4th year was possible at some point it would have been something very few people would have any interest in doing, and that would account for the rarity and not the difficulty in getting one.

No just loss of interest - that extra year is rather competitive. Everyone that wanted one simply couldn't.

PGY3 years like everything are provincially mandated. In Ontario, you cannot do two different PGY3 programs anymore.

Some people choose to get additional training while working. If you did family plus emerge, you can probably get enough experience to practice sports medicine. Certainly enough to get the diploma, but not the fellowship. But is that what you need? want? does it change your practice? etc

Other people just do self-learning and follow their interests into that field. You can work emerge or sports medicine without the extra year of training. You just need to make sure you have the skill set to do it (for patient safety and because you're mistakes are judged compared to people with the training).

It is getting more challenging to work in certain areas now that everyone wants their own field recognized and certified to prove how great they are. Ok, they don't all want to prove how great they are but there are way too many PGY3 programs these days. (And only a few have national exams....which essentially just verifies legitimacy/standardization/acceptance.)

No, it isn't. The government only provides funding for one year per person.

are you sure? I know a guy who did GPA 2 years ago and applied to CCFP-EM this year, didn't get in though, but for sure not because of the funding issue, otherwise he wouldn't be able to apply and get interviewed in the first place

if I recall correctly something like 80% of people go into residency considering a PGY3 year but only around 20% of people actually end up doing one. So my guess is that even if a 4th year was possible at some point it would have been something very few people would have any interest in doing, and that would account for the rarity and not the difficulty in getting one.

At my site, 20 FM residents, 7 contemplated applying EM, only 3 ended up applying. Dunno about pall/sports med/GPA...

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if it is possible to do two PGY3 years. For example an ER year and a sports medicine year? I think that would be a pretty bad ass combo. Or even anesthesiology (focus on pain) with geriatrics.

Thanks for any input.

I think you can do it but like someone said before most people do a PGY3 year then start working ie. doing locums then get extra training over a few years. There is someone I know in his 30's that has GPA and FM-EM. The GPA he organized for himself and did it over 3 years. I am assuming he was not funded seeing as how it was done in 2 month blocks twice a year for 3 years. If you were doing locums and taking time off for a few years to do it you would probably make more $ than a funded PGY4 position anyways. I think the caveat in this situation is that in the settings where you would work as a GPA, the famliy docs do EM and most of them do it without a plus one. Maybe you could just do your sports med training later on once you were out in practice?

Archived